ice and iron

Possible medical based reasons for ice chewing.

ice and iron

Postby another guest » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:51 am

I used eating ice to stop smoking cigarettes. Then I was told by a doctor that eating ice depletes the iron in your system and can damage teeth by breaking or cracking them. I also have a condition called hemochromotosis, which is when your body absorps too much iron. This is an inherited condition, which is usually dormant unless both parents are carriers, and then it can be active in the children. Active is when your body absorps too much. That can cause MANY bad things, such as heart attacks, arthritus, brain damage, and liver failure (as that is where all the iron is stored). So for me the ice eating is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't smoke now (I was up to 2 1/2 packs a day after smoking for over 40 years), and I have found that a store near my house sells a softer type of ice so it is easier on my teeth. I normally have to have a pint of blood removed at least once or twice a month to get rid of the extra iron. With the ice, I don't have to have it removed as often. So the rest of you be careful of the anemia that the ice does cause.
another guest

Return to Medical Reasons