Is chewing crushed ice bad for your teeth?

Share your ice chewing stories.

Is chewing crushed ice bad for your teeth?

Postby poohlova15 » Tue May 29, 2007 4:47 pm

I LOVE eating crushed ice, i go to the gas station near by everyday and get a 220z cup and chow down! But my parents think its bad for my teeth since im getting braces in 2 months. But i don't think so, i just know the "cubed" ice is harmful because you have to "bite" down onto it. but my parents dont understand. They say if they catch me eating it i'll be on punishment, but i sneak it anyway, im just addicted to it, and i cant help it.
Tell me what you think? :roll: :?:
poohlova15

Shaved ice

Postby europa » Tue May 29, 2007 10:55 pm

My sister cracked her tooth crunching cubes. My preference is shaved ice. Fortunately, I've not had a problem with my teeth since starting ice eating.
europa

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:30 pm

I've been crunching ice since I was about 11 years old I'm almost at the half century mark, now and I've never broken a tooth yet and I still crunch ice. {Knock on that ole' wood ....er-r-r-r ice block....?!} :lol: I really think it's How the ice is chewed not so much the kind although crushed and snow ice is much easier to eat and there's less worry with it . PoohLova 15, I really feel for your predicament especially with braces You crave ice-need to do it and sneaking it isn't really good either as your parents are worried about teeth and brace wires breaking . Have you been checked for low iron? If all else fails perhaps your folks wouldn't object to you eating snow cone machine ice.
Best of luck with working out some sort of compromise and especially with your braces. I had to wear them when I was kid and in my teens and the results are well worth it :D :D :D Consider yourself one of the lucky ones! :D :D
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

Postby VeronicaLodge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm

There's a fine art to chewing ice. Don't try to chew the big, clear ones if you're a novice :lol:

Its about the tension you put on the cube. An experienced chewer can feel for that subtle fault line which will crack the whole thing into smaller pieces.

Also letting it melt in your mouth a little before you crunch it can help. 8)
VeronicaLodge

yup

Postby specialkdawgg » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Well it can't be a good thing:(
SpK--
specialkdawgg

Postby lawngnomepoo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 am

i split a tooth most likely from chewing ice. thankfully it was a baby tooth so i got it pulled and the primary grew in under it. but i've cut down a lot on ice chewing since then it was quite the wake up call.
lawngnomepoo

Return to Stories