STRESS CAUSED MY HABIT!

Why do you chew ice?

STRESS CAUSED MY HABIT!

Postby kia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:04 pm

My own personal obsession with the cold stuff is driven in large part by habit. I don't have an iron deficiency, anemia, or teeth fractures (I was checked). My habit started 2 years ago when I was going through a stressful time. Now, years later, I still crave at least 3 cups of ice per day and for no apparent health-related reason. What's my problem?

Although I eventually plan to confront my addiction, in the meantime, let me offer a helpful hint on scoring ice. Most convenience stores won't charge you to refill a previously purchased glass. If they do, its usually a nominal fee like 25 cents. Of all the common addictions, at least our habit is cheap!
kia

Why?

Postby connievc » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:54 pm

I eat ice because I love the taste and the feel of it in my mouth. I used to eat ice during my pregnancies, but now I just eat it to satisfy the craving. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water and I have to have it.
I never met an ice cube I didn't like.
connievc

Postby The Beans! » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:56 pm

I usually only eat ice if I'm drinking a sugary drink (like Coke). I like to get a bit of water to flush some of the sugar taste out and getting the ice and melting it in my mouth is the easiest (and most fun) way to do it.
The Beans!

Postby IceDesire » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 am

As I mentioned in another post, I started because I was deep into the club scene, and a go-go dancer for a while. Drinking water bloated my stomach, so I found by eating ice, I could stay hydrated and be cooled down. Doctors be damned - I felt better after chewing ice. Now 10 years later, I still crave it and eat it, even in winter. Going to Mammoth Mountain was like a ice dream come true... although I did try to curb eating actual snow. :wink:

I find I used only certain teeth to crunch the ice I eat - I have had a lot of dental work (not ice chewing related, by the way) and I have to be careful. But soft ice, shaved ice and little cubes are always around.

D
IceDesire

BIG ICE EATER

Postby louise » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:16 pm

I LOVE TO EAT ICE. 2 BAG A WEEK. I TOO LIKE THE SOFTER ICE, THE CLEAR IS TOO HARD, I WILL EAT IF IF I CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE. I EAT IT MORNING , NIGHT, AND NOON.
louise

Postby Random Hero » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:22 pm

woah 2 bags a week.. damn.. i chew ice whenever its hot or i'm really bored... :lol:
Random Hero

chewing ice

Postby pldcc2001 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:34 pm

help...... i eat up to 2 bags of ice a day i really need to go to the doctor i never had this craving before i was in a utomobile accident april 12th and april 15th they had to remove my right eye and i,ve been eating ice for a little over a month now.....i,ll wake up and my mouth will be so dry i cant swollow any one have any advice?
pldcc2001

new here,,,,

Postby duranfann01 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:18 am

I get about a bag of ice every other day if I had a bad week more
I also get a cup or 2 of 7-11 crushed ice the one by me has great ice I also live very close to a Sonic REALLY good ice I feel so at home here I knew there had to be other people like me just took a minute to find this site,,,,, thanks so much!!!!! :)
Happy Chomping!!!
duranfann01

Postby onlypureice » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:40 pm

What a very unusual habit to have, does any ice chewers have people around them that dont complain about the abnoxious sound?
onlypureice

ice chewing,

Postby duranfann01 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm

my husband used to complain but he got used to it i don't do it too much around other people or at the movies at least I can control it some!!!! :)
Happy Chomping!!!
duranfann01

cooler of ice

Postby MelodyC007 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:00 pm

My husband gets up every morning and crushes me a small cooler of ice to take to school. I eat it throughout the day and have been doing it for about 2 years now.

I think my ice habit was brought on by stress. My Mother had an old ice crusher from the 1970's and I became sick for about a week and all I could keep down was crushed ice and sprite.

Well, I'm better now, but still eating the ice!
MelodyC007

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:27 pm

Ice crunching does release stress but I'm wondering can anyone really tell the difference between someone crunching soft ice and crunching popcorn, or any crunchy food? Seems to me people worry too much about this. So I say if it tastes good and it's not hurting anyone, Chomp on! :lol:
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

other cruchies

Postby MelodyC007 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:31 pm

You know - I like frosted flakes cereal -- I really think it's the texture of the ice though in the mouth that I like instead of the actual crunch. Actually my ice, that I crush daily - LOL, is kinda wet and soft!

Even though the crunching does get louder and more frequent when I am stressed!

LOVE THE ICE!
MelodyC007

Return to Why?