HA! I bought an ice maker

Share your ice chewing stories.

HA! I bought an ice maker

Postby Carpecervisi » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:38 pm

Yeah, and I'm not talking about some little Kenmore job that goes into your freezer. It's a commercial grade Scotsman (TDE550 if anyone cares) that makes the soft, chewable nuggets. It'll make over 500 pounds of ice per day and can store 25 pounds or so in the bin.

I live on the East Coast in the DC area and we don't have any Sonics nearby. I figure with all the bags of ice I buy at the grocery store and the large cups from the convenience stores to and from work every day, this little baby should pay for itself pretty quickly.

I can't say this is an ideal solution for everyone, but you can find some pretty great deals on used commercial machines online (eBay, Google, etc). My Scotsman sold new for over $3,000 and I picked mine up from a medical supply warehouse for $240! Shipping was a kick in the nuts, but it was worth it.

Have fun and happy chewing.
-chad
Carpecervisi

REAL ICE LOVER

Postby MARCIA » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:06 pm

YOU ARE EXTREME WITH YOUR ICE.I BUY 2BAG PER DAY. I USE MY IN A FOOD PROCESSOR TO GET SLUSH ICE. THAT COMMERICAL GRADE MACHINE I BET IS NICE. DO ANY OF YOU ICE LOVERS HAVE A CRAVING FOR STARCH. I JOINED A CORNSTARCH SUPPORT GROUP. I LIKE THIS ICE GROUP TOO. (2) OF MY FAVORITE PICA'S
MARCIA

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:05 am

wow, this is definately envy i'm feeling. do u need any help eating all of that ice?

Postby iceloverone » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:11 am

i posted that but i forgot to login
iceloverone

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:48 pm

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS HAVE A BIG ICE PARTY AND INVITE ALL THE CRAZY ICE EATTERS TO COME. COULD YOU IMAGINE THAT WOULD BE ALOT OF CRUNCHIN GOING ON. LOL

Postby Jeannied40 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:44 pm

That is the best purchase anyone could make....

:wink:

Now I must go try Sonic ICE
See you all later....
Jeannied40

Re: HA! I bought an ice maker

Postby fantabular » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Carpecervisi wrote:I can't say this is an ideal solution for everyone, but you can find some pretty great deals on used commercial machines online (eBay, Google, etc). My Scotsman sold new for over $3,000 and I picked mine up from a medical supply warehouse for $240! Shipping was a kick in the nuts, but it was worth it.

LUCKY!
Where'd you get yoru ice maker from? I'm about 2 hours from DC, maybe I can find one too!
fantabular

Postby TeacherSue » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:05 pm

I am so envious!!! You got a good deal!! On eBay even the used ones are selling for over a thousand!!

Tell me about it...was it difficult to hook up? get to a water line? where did you put it? is the ice just like Sonic's?
TeacherSue

Return to Stories