Which Ice makers are the best for home use?

What makes the Best Ice?

Which Ice makers are the best for home use?

Postby amapoke » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:51 am

Does anyone know which small, non-industrial ice maker makes the best chewing ice? My wife and I chew as does everyone else who visits and we are forever out of ice. A small, counter-top model would be ideal. Any thoughts?
amapoke

Re: Which Ice makers are the best for home use?

Postby 831ice » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:08 am

You can go to home depot and get a countertop ice maker or BJ'S wholesale club has them, The one from home depot has diffrent size ice you can choose to make.. Its a good one.. Also if you have a Carvel where you live try there ice.. Its pure white and it is a nice little dome shape...its great. :drool:
831ice

Postby Giggles » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I don't know about which is best so to speak, but a simple internet search showed they are available for anywhere from $350 to $6,000 or so with and without water hook ups.

I am definitely looking into a smaller 3-4 hundred $ brand that will make smaller pellets, no water hookups.
... I do not want full size cubes !!!

Anyone with info, please get at me !!!
Giggles

Postby dand » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello- My name is Dan and I just joined the group. I couldn't believe it when I found a site dedicated to ice chewers. My mom used to chew ice all day long; I thought it had something to do with her anuerism but then I realized that I too have the habit. Worst (or best) yet my daughter has now started the same thing. Perhaps it is genetic. Anyway, as to the best ice maker - I use ice cubes straight from the freezer which I place in a smoothie maker ($50 from most box stores) with a little water and then let the machine chew them up. I also like to refreeze the slush then chew on that once it has thawed slightly.
dand

Postby iceeater2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:22 am

Magic Bullet makes a wonderful snow if the ice is dry and cold, :drool: or great chips if slightly wet. It cost between $42. to $60. depending where sold and if its on sale. Aldi's has a generic for about $30. Well worth the $ to save the teeth. I now have $4000.00 worth of bridge work because the ice eating habit ruining my teeth :roll: But I can still eat the snow, anytime of year! :lol:
iceeater2

Postby TeacherSue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:28 pm

I bought an ice maker that makes the pellet ice like Sonic has...best purchase EVER!! The machine is slim and compact...I put it in my laundry room right by the mud sink so there was a water source. It was expensive ($2,600) but well worth the money, which was left to me when my dad passed away. Without that I would have never been able to afford it. The company (located in St. Louis) delivered it, installed it, and they were really great to deal with.
TeacherSue

Postby chuy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Scotsman NU130 is the BEST. Scotsman is the brand that Sonic uses. ~$2200 makes 125lbs a day

Ice-O-Matic GEMU90 is a close second ~$1900 makes 85lbs a day
chuy

Postby TeacherSue » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Are those BIG machines? I do not need 125 pounds of ice a day!! I chew ice all day long but not that much!!
TeacherSue

Postby TeacherSue » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

My machine is a Hoshizaki, and I love it.
TeacherSue

Postby nankamo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I use a Hawaiian ice shaver but I can't get to it when I am at work, Im just going to die. I was stopping at the nursing home on my way to work to fill my bottles and half gallon drink cooler but now the nursing home is closing. I can't shave the amount I need and so I simply must have a counter top unit. Right now I am beside myself as I sadly look to my water bottle filled with water. WATER! of all things!! OMG, I just need soft crunchy water, what unit can I get for under $200 that will provide those soft snow like packed little tubular nuggets.... Also thrilled I found "my kind" I was wondering where I belong and Im so glad I found you all!!! :)
nankamo

Postby Martin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:19 am

Magic chef and New air have good collection of Ice makers.
Martin

Return to Recipes