This tops it all for ice chewing!

Share your ice chewing stories.

This tops it all for ice chewing!

Postby chewininco » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:51 am

I can't believe there is actually a website that I am posting to about ice-chewing, but here it goes. I have the WORST case of ice chewing and craving. When my 21 year old son was on the way, I started chewing ice. . . about 24 hours after delivery, I quit. Then my 18 year old daughter was on the way. I once again started chewing away, after l about 24 hours after she was delivered, then I quit again. During this pregnancy, I loved the smell of styrofoam. . . I actually got a hold of some (the kind that is put in pillows) and chewed it until it would begin to crumble in my mouth. 2 1/2 years later, my 16 year old daughter was on the way . . you know the routine . . after she was delivered I stopped . . . that was until our 6 year old daughter was on the way. . . here came the craving again. However, after this pregnancy, I had a tubal ligation (tubes tied). I however, didn't quit chewing ice. I am still chewing ice. . . I have actually purchased a SCOTSMAN MDT2C12 TOUCHFREE CUBELET ICE MAKER/DISPENSER!! (Found on e-bay, paid $2250 for the thing) This is THEE machine that makes SONIC ice. I swear I have this down to a science . . . . If I take out about a pitcher's worth of ice ( and give it to my plants so I'm not "wasting water") then the machine kicks in and starts making that amazing ice that sticks to your teeth . . the really fresh cool stuff. I will literally chew ice until I am shivering, and sometimes I will go to bed with a front toothache that radiates up past my nose and into my forehead. I've actually wrapped in a heating blanket, chewing ice, as I'm watching tv, using the computer, etc. I chew ice when I'm folding laundry, cleaning the windows, polishing the floor, driving, taking a bath . . . it's out of control I know!!! I have 2 chipped molars due to chewing, but my dentist has never lectured me. I know for a fact that I chew over 10 lbs a day because of the amount the ice machine can produce.
Ok, the confession is out. . . I do have fibroids (3), am 44 years old now and every other month has a cycle from H E _ _ !!
Does any of this relate to anyone??

Still Chewin in CO
chewininco

Re: This tops it all for ice chewing!

Postby Mommyof4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:25 pm

I am the same way.. I only chew when I am pregant and that is how I found out this time, we are expecting. Once my baby is born I quit. I have to have ice from certain places... Once Mcdonalds here in my town has "better" ice than another and I have to go through the drive through or it isn't right!!! Weird I know
Mommyof4

Postby potridge » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Wow, a kindred spirit! When I was pregnant with my first, I worked at Jewel Foods and on my breaks I would go back in the produce department with my cup and take a hugh scoop out of the machine that makes the crushed ice that they used to pour over some of the produce. That was the only craving I had while pregnant! Same with kid #2. I lost the craving for years, but now it's back. (and no....I'm not pregnant!) I know I have anemia and I'm thinking it has something to do with menopause too. I also chew until I'm blue and shivering. My neighbors think I'm crazy when I sit on my sunny front porch when it's 95 degrees! In the winter...forget it, I'm NEVER warm. Why do we do this to ourselves? I don't chew near as much as most of the people on this site, I just don't have the time to carry and crunch all day. Good thing! I do have a habit of checking out the ice in the places that I eat and have recently found Sweet Tomatoes ice to be the best. Does anyone think that ice actually has a taste? We must, because we keep saying it tastes delicious. I believe it isn't the taste as much as the texture. One positive.....you can do it all day it won't add a single calorie to your diet! Munch on!!!!!!!!!!!
"Ice to meet you. Let's kick some ice!" -Mr Freeze
potridge

Postby sweetteeth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Oh, I can so relate! We all have it pretty bad, but I've just started on iron suplements and am waiting to see how it goes. I used to take them while I was pregs, but they gave me night terrors and chomping on the ice seemed the better soulution. But recently I was in the hospital and they let me have ALL the ice I wanted, it was so cool (No pun intended.) When I got out I wanted nothing but cracked ice or chipped ice thereafter. When we went out one of out waitresses gave me a cup of ice from the bar, and it was more like a snow cone! I could have made slush balls out of it, but it ended up being SOOOO GOOOOOD! Yup, I must be strange.
sweetteeth

Postby NikSamJoLivia » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I have the same thing going on, I know I am severely anemic and this is why ice is currently my "food of choice". The urge goes away when I get my iron and B vitamins up, but the only supplements that work for me are so darn expensive. However, because the ice chewing is just curing the craving and not the problem, I still at times have severe fatigue from the anemia. Also, the ice chewing seems to make me bloat, cold (also in part due to the anemia) and my nose is always running.... not fun. I would suggest to the writer who has decided to give the iron supplements a go, to use a liquid, chelated form of iron. Regular iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. are made directly of this metal mineral (which is difficult for our bodies to digest and therefore use). Chelated iron is taken from plants that have kind of digested and absorbed the iron for us and can be ingested like food and easily used by our bodies. FloraDix is the only brand I have tried, but there are other less expensive brands out there.

Anyway, hope this helps. :)
NikSamJoLivia

Postby tomcruise123 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 pm

haahahhhaaa nice post---------------
I am Good!
tomcruise123

Postby cajun_sno1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

just joined :P :P :P

yes, i also have and addiction to chewing ice......
yes, monthly cramps from he--...
once cramping stops. i continue to chew,chew and chew.....

glad 2 know that there r others like myself
cajun_sno1

Return to Stories