Can you tell the difference?

Share your ice chewing stories.

Can you tell the difference?

Postby Ice_Kat26 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Maybe it's just me. But I can taste and smell the difference in ices. Like I can tell if it's store-bought. Or if it's tap water, or water from a bottle. Whose freezer[type of freezer] it was frozen in. Or if it's something at a restaurant or fast food place. What make of ice.

Such as mine. I can tell if the ice it from a freezer like mine, or in some one who doesn't have an ice machine in their freezer. Or if it's been frozen in trays. Or in bottles.

I don't know. It might just be me. But can anyone else tell?
-Ice Kitty*
Ice_Kat26

I can too!!

Postby ezgoingrl » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Yes, indeed.
ezgoingrl

Postby HotIcicle » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Greetings Ice Chewers!
I am thrilled to find you.
I love ice and was sure I am not alone. And I am not!
:lol:

Yes, Ice_Kat26, I do taste the difference and don't really like ice made in trays.
I usually buy ice in bags and crash cubes into smaller pieces.

Last edited by HotIcicle on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotIcicle

Postby HotIcicle » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:18 pm

By the way, this slightly melted cube of ice on the top makes me run to downstairs DunkinDonuts and beg for ice there.
:wink:

See ya later.

There IS a Difference

Postby Janbo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Yes! There is quite a difference in types of ice. I can tell whether ice was made in the freezer unit of a refrigerator or in a tray, whether spring water or tap water was used, etc.

One of my favorite ice types was discovered when I had to go to the hospital's Emergency Room on Christmas Eve. I couldn't walk so my husband went down the hall looking for an ice dispenser.

When he brought back a cup of hospital ice, I thought it was the best I'd ever tasted. It was clear, soft, crunchy, and ever so slightly melted. Needless to mention, I had several more cups of ice before we left there. 'Wish I could afford a machine like theirs but it was HUGE and probably costs a fortune.
Janbo

Different kinds of ice & taste

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:01 am

Oh-h-h-h Yeah...! I can usually taste the difference in different kinds of ice. I can even smell when our refrigerator is going through a defrost cycle. I love the taste of the ice in the ice bin during this particular time but I wish I could fine~tune the taste thing like you can, Ice-Cat 26! :lol: :lol: But We know ice is like anything else it too has it's own individual taste.Right..? Crunch on....! Yum. :lol: :)
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

Re: Can you tell the difference?

Postby niceice » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:15 am

Ice_Kat26 wrote:Maybe it's just me. But I can taste and smell the difference in ices. Like I can tell if it's store-bought. Or if it's tap water, or water from a bottle. Whose freezer[type of freezer] it was frozen in. Or if it's something at a restaurant or fast food place. What make of ice.

Such as mine. I can tell if the ice it from a freezer like mine, or in some one who doesn't have an ice machine in their freezer. Or if it's been frozen in trays. Or in bottles.

I don't know. It might just be me. But can anyone else tell?

Yeah and it kinda sucks at work coz I have to make ice in the freezer all day because I can't keep leaving to walk to the 7-11 and the freezer at work smells kinda funky sometimes! I rinse the ice off and melt it a little! But sometimes it still smells of food! gross but i gotta eat it anyway...
niceice

Postby VeronicaLodge » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:59 pm

had a happy moment last Friday when I discovered the chinese dumpling store I ate at had the PERFECT ice.

It was those little balls that just *crumble* as soon as your teeth hit them. Ooooh baby, my mouth waters just thinkin' about it :D :D :D
VeronicaLodge

Postby icecraver! » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Oh, I can really taste and smell the differences in ices. I have to have ice made in trays in a freezer. It has so much more flavor than store bought ice. I love ice out of ice makers too. My grandma's fridge makes round, white ice cubes...YUM. I love going to my sister's, because her water makes the best ice. It has a little bit of a chlorine taste to it...it is wonderful. Is that weird? LOL :roll:
icecraver!

Postby seans_qirl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:25 pm

yeahh, i can tell the difference, too! sometimes it's a big difference, so it's hard not to notice. @ boyfriend's mom's house she uses ice trays, and it's soo hard that i can't chew it. however, my dad's house uses their fridge like mine, and his crushed ice tastes like tap water && it's horrible. it's so weird, so don't feel alone. :D :D :D
seans_qirl

Postby CosmicBrown » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:29 pm

Honey you are not alone. I can smell the difference also. Even when I have a cup and I go from my house to my mother's house I can tell the difference. I am so bad that when I go to Sonic I can squeeze the cup a little bit to see if it is the good kind or the bad :) .
CosmicBrown

Re: Can you tell the difference?

Postby Fire.N.Ice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Yep, I can tellt he difference too. I find, if you freeze your own, it depends on what type of plastic is used for your ice tray and what other food items you have in your freezer at the time.

Also from where the supplier gets their water to make their ice!

I like to use bottled water if I make my own (which I dont any more, I buy it in bags!) As our water will be different to yours (Down Under) when you freeze our tap water the first thing you smell and taste is the chemicals in the water - yuk!

I go thru 4 kilograms of ice in a 2 day chew fest. I think roughly converted to your measurements that would be 8.18 lbs. And I hate the frequent toilet breaks!
Fire.N.Ice

Return to Stories