Archive

This is an archive of posts from the old site.

Archive

Postby automaticr » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:56 am

Chewing Ice
Okay, so I don't know what it is wrong with me, but I can't stand when people chew ice. It gives me the chills. For real. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. However, today, just now, I bit an ice cube in half. Mike now owes me $10 (or he's paying my bar tab). Not a bad deal...

Posted by at June 6, 2002 03:39 PM

Comments
Drink till he's broke!

Posted by: todd at June 6, 2002 03:51 PM
It was more of a nip. There was clearly no chew. She has failed to chew. Irrational fear I tell ya. I've been ripped off. But... to be fair.. she did make an attempt, and that's gotta be worth something.

Posted by: Mike at June 6, 2002 03:51 PM
My mother chews ice.....

it disturbs me too...

it is a "comfort thing": for her/???

lorna

Posted by: Lorna at November 7, 2002 10:27 PM
We like to chew on ice together in the dark. Yes, the same ice cube.

Posted by: joeandjess at November 12, 2002 02:06 PM
I habitually chew ice, my brother told me it is a sign of sexual frustration. I wonder if thats true?!

Posted by: Sara at November 16, 2002 06:57 PM
I heard that chewing ice was a sign of iron deficiency.

Posted by: Tanya at January 2, 2003 09:51 PM
Everyone I have talked to that chews ice has or had an iron deficiency--myself included. As soon as my hemoglobin got back to normal I couldn't stand to chew ice and couldn't even imagine how I liked it so much.

Posted by: Mindy at April 11, 2003 10:06 AM
Yes, I was addicted to chewing ice several years ago. From a book on addiction I learned that this was caused by an iron addiction. So I started taking iron supplements and with in a few weeks I was cured! REally! I know several people since then who have had the same problem! Get iron!

Posted by: Sherrie at May 17, 2003 07:52 PM
Yes, I was addicted to chewing ice several years ago. From a book on addiction I learned that this was caused by an iron addiction. So I started taking iron supplements and with in a few weeks I was cured! REally! I know several people since then who have had the same problem! Get iron!

Posted by: Sherrie at May 17, 2003 07:52 PM
I HAVE BEEN CHEWING ICE FOR YEARS. I COULD NOT THINK OF GIVING THAT UP. I HAD IRON DEFICENCY AND STARTED EATING SPINICH AND LIVER PLUS OTHER FOODS. CURED IRON PROBLEM. STILL CHEW ICE. MASSIVE QUANTITIES.

Posted by: HELEN at May 22, 2003 10:45 PM
I chew ice.....alll the time!!!! I can't stop. I don't knwo why i do but i cant stop. It's habitual. What does this mean!!!

Posted by: pheonix at June 7, 2003 06:35 AM
I chew ice all the time. I will make a glass of water or soda and have a overflowing cup of ice with it. My friend is always saying that she hates people chewing ice. I have made an effort to not do it so much in front of her at lunch times, but its very hard! The best ice is the small "sonic" ice! (Plus its not as loud as any other ice.)

Yes, I have an iron deficency and I am anemic (SP?). I have been throughout three pregnancies over the past 10 years.

Anyways, ice chewers chew on! :)

Posted by: Sheila at June 9, 2003 04:03 PM
I'm soo glad I found this website. I started chewing ice - seriously - in the past year. I began the craving during my last pregnancy, but I craved all kinds of ice - crushed, snow, ice cones, but in the last few months it's for pure ice. It makes me ( and my hubby) crazy! I sneak downstairs 2/3 times a night, rustling through my ice try for the "sonic" thin ice, and chomp away. Is this stress related?
Signed- Feeling Really Weird and Still Worried.

Posted by: Whitney at June 11, 2003 09:55 PM
i have anemia... at first i didnt chew ice because i made up for my anemia with iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us.... but i stopped taking them... now.. i have become addicted to ice.. i also found out i am allergic to rice and bread- where i get a lot of my iron from.. now that i dont eat much.. it got to a point where i'd subsitute meals with ice. and i lost a ton of weight.. but i love the smell of the freezer and the taste of the ice.. i know that chewing ice ruins ur teeth... so i make ice "chips" and since they freeze so quickly there are lots of cracks so it doesnt hurt ur teeth as much...

Posted by: laura at July 13, 2003 05:33 AM
I am chewing ice right now, and have been a habitual chewer for many years. This web site made me laugh out loud and made me happy that I am not the only 'serious'ice chomper out there who appreciates different types and textures of ice. Most of my friends accept this about me, & many co-workers know about this about me too, however my father despises it! Always gives me a dirty look if we meet for dinner and I sneak in an icechew with a swig of water. My last partner accepted it and occasionally would enjoy a ice chewing binge with me...like on a road trip. I'm a mega chewer and couldn't imagine giving it up, even if I wanted to...

Posted by: Vanessa at July 19, 2003 01:33 AM
I was just chewing ice right now and I thought I'd search google for it...

Iron deficiency eh? Who'd have thought? :)
Some other sites say its bad for your teeth, biting hard pieces can do damage.. maybe I'll stick to crushed ice instead.

Posted by: Vanilla Ice at August 9, 2003 01:57 AM
I chew ice religiously everytime i get a drink. it drives my mother CRAZY!!! but i can't help it. i am anemic but i never knew that my desire to chew ice was related to that!! wow that's interesting

Posted by: naaja at August 13, 2003 03:29 PM
Wow, this is great. I had to laugh also, like the one post..I was just chewing ice and thought I would look it up.

Glad I am not alone. I don't know another ice chewer, now we have a 'support group', LOL!

I, too, will fill my glass to overflowing with regular ice cubes. When they sit awhile, they get soft...absolutely the best. Oh, I freeze sodas also (in a mug)...try it!

S.B.

Posted by: S.B. at August 16, 2003 09:23 PM
All this ice chewing talk is making me cringe. I can barely read these posts without some serious chills coming on. I'm still not sure why I have this irrational fear of chewing ice. I love ice! I just can't chew it!

More power to the rest of you though! Check out the rest of this site - it's pretty cool and includes more topics than just ice chewing :)

Posted by: Dee at August 19, 2003 08:08 AM
I was trying to figure out why iron deficiency would lead to chewing ice. I can't find any medical theories, but I've come up with one of my own...

It turns out that most of the iron in you body is stored in your bones (where red blood cells are made). I know big animals often eat bone marrow because its high in energy.. but maybe its just as much for the iron. I think that explains the craving to chew on something hard like ice.

...or maybe not. :)

Posted by: nobody at August 19, 2003 12:02 PM
Unbelievable!!!! I thought I was the only one. I am so addicted to chewing ice, I can't even get in the car without a huge cup of ICE. I go to the movies with my husband and bring my own large cup of ICE. I went to Bed Bath & Beyond 3 weeks ago and bought an ICE crusher to make crushed ice (like sno cones) It started a year ago and it continually gets worse. I can't even go to bed without a cup of ICE. It drives me crazy too!! I'm going to take everyone's advice on this web site and start taking iron supplements.
This habit is driving me nuts!!!!!

Posted by: Robin at August 20, 2003 08:42 PM
I had gastric bypass a year ago and lost 125 lbs,I started chewing ice about 4 months ago and have become addicted to it. It is a snack for me with no calories but I crave it and sometimes obsess over it. My iron levels are fine but there has to be something to it. I enjoy it but I feel there is something spooky about looking forward to chewing ice...never did it before. Any comments?

Posted by: joy at August 22, 2003 07:28 AM
I too am an ice addict. I can sit and chew ice until my stomach is so bloated and full, my teeth begins to ache, my body is shivering as if its 20 degrees below (when its actually 90 degrees high, and then all I want to do is sleep. Therefore, I begin drinking coffee, alot of coffee, cappucino, anything hot with caffeine. Now, Iam a caffeine addict also.

Posted by: lolita at August 26, 2003 10:06 AM
CHEWING ON ICE MEANS YOU NEED SEX...BAD!!!

Posted by: rhonda at August 28, 2003 03:13 PM
I laughed so hard to read all of these. I absolutely CRAVE ice!! I, too, love even the smell of the freezer and different textures of ice. Ooooh, when it turns to slush just before it fully freezes.. mmmmm, mmmmm, good. I am pregnant though and my midwife called me last week to let me know that I am severely anemic and I am now taking massive suppliments to get it back to normal before delivery.

Funny thing..... when you're anemic you either crave ice or dirt. I am grateful to crave ice. Ha! Anyone ever crave dirt??? Now that seems strange.

Posted by: Jill at August 31, 2003 01:17 AM
I HAVE BEEN FOUND!!!! Nice to meet you ICE POEPLE...I too am obseesed with chewing ice....cannot have drink without it (ahh the thought of it makes me cringe). I drive my soon to be wife crazy....justifyable homicide she tells me. I must have extra ice all time...I always orders it when at a rest.....'cause I knows that I am addicted...it gets worse...my family gives me grief about it all the time. I feel like I am preaching to Ice Anonymous. Is there a 12 step program for this? I am off to buy iron supplements tomorrow. Thank you ICE FORUM!!!!

Posted by: thejamesboy@cox.net at September 2, 2003 09:38 PM
I absolutely LOVE ice. I have to have a cupful at least 4-5 times a day. I really love crushed ice, it was even a requirement when I got my new fridge. I am anemic but even when my blood levels are normal the craving does not go away. Thank goodness there are others out there like me!!!

Posted by: Sarah at September 4, 2003 12:50 PM
Glad to meet all these ice-aholics. I love soft textured ice - not the smooth, perfectly formed cubes. I thought I was weird. I go out and buy bags of ice. I've even thought of buying an ice pick so that I can make my own jagged textured ice. But an ice crusher sounds even better.

I used to be anemic. Perhpas I am now - as I stopped craving ice after taking iron supplements. I think I will try iron again.

And yes, I am chewing on ice as I type this.

Posted by: Sandy at September 5, 2003 06:19 PM
i have been working in the dental field for 32yrs. love to chew ice..like others on this site i have all the bad habits always grabing a cup of ice when ever possible and chewing on it. today a patient confessed she was chewing on ice when she cracked her tooth and now needs a crown. i told her i understood i also chew ice. she then asked me if i was anemic. i am severly anemic but hate to take iron due to stomach problems. today was the first time i ever heard chewing ice was related to anemia..thats why i'm
here i just wanted to check it out..i truly want to know what is the relationship to the two. i also freeze blueberries and chew them when in season.

Posted by: nan at September 9, 2003 10:36 PM
This site is unbelievable! I've heard it all! Tonight while I was on hold with the cable company to get my bill straightened out, I was chewing away on my ice and mid-chew, the rep came back on the line. I apologized for what must have sounded like the most incredibly rude sound and she asked me if I was chewing ice. I said yes, I was, sorry. And told her I'd heard it's really hard on your teeth. She said she'd also heard it was hard on something else, her sister was told it caused some terrible problem but she could not for the life of her remember what it was. She even apologized for bringing it up without knowing what it was, so if anyone out there has a clue, please clue me in! Also, I've never heard it called 'sonic' ice before, but yes, it's the best, and a friend and fellow chewer gave me trays that make baby ice cubes and THEY are the best!

ps...I'm a teeth grinder with extensive dental work - my dentist is horrified that I chew and gring - but I've never been anemic and I have a great sex life so maybe ice chewing is bruxism's conscious cousin!

Posted by: SusanMarina at September 10, 2003 12:09 AM
amazing that i ran across this site. i just searched "chewing ice" and here i am uniting with others like me. i quit smoking jan 2003 and have had a cup of ice in my hand every day since. i did get results back a month ago from dr. visit saying i was anemic. unreal!! this really should be looked into. i buy 8lb bags of ice to keep in the freezer, my family calls it my 'sacred ice' they know not to touch it! i stop at Sonic and ask for huge cups of their ice, MY FAVORITE! thanks to all of you who shared your stories.

Posted by: s a at September 10, 2003 11:50 AM
i work in a truck stop, unlimited acsess to all types of ice, soft, glassy, crunchy. Of course all the drivers make comments about the lack of sex concept, but that's not it. I recently heard about the iron deficiency possibilities, I hope so, I had braces for seven years and now I have two broken teeth in the back, so much for braces. anyway, thanx for the information, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. By the way my coworkers are very accepting, as long as I don't bug them about smoking.

Posted by: kelley at September 13, 2003 05:43 PM
its amazing! i had no idea so many people had the same addiction. like many others, i was simply chewing ice, and decided to look it up. What a world, what a world!. Some of my friends think im insane for chewing ice so much, but its a hard habit to break. I've tried, believe me. But, i found that im more content when i have a tall glass of ice as my companion. haa. Chow down fellow chewers!

Posted by: kim at September 16, 2003 09:24 PM
Here I am at 5 o'clock on a Saturday morning with a quart-size cup of ice to chomp on. Like others, I decided to search Google to see if there was any medical implication associated with chewing ice. The dental risks are obvious. Other than that, there's no reason to give it up, is there? It is so soothing! And hats off to the person a few messages back who had come to an amazingly plausible conclusion about the possible correlation between animals chewing on bones for the iron-rich marrow, and people chewing on ice for their mineral/iron needs. Good detective work, my friend!

Posted by: Jaynie Jones at September 27, 2003 07:01 AM
free at last free at last thank God almighty free at last!

I have a dream where one day all ice chewers can walk hand in hand with non ice chewers and... okay, okay, I know, You get my point!

Ice Chewers Unite
unabashed ice chewer and proud of it in BC

Posted by: Miss Celie at October 7, 2003 07:43 AM
I'm severely anemic. I take my iron, eat iron at every meal and still eat ice. I can't stop. I eat it ALL day long while cleaning house or driving or reading, everything. I wish I could stop.I was told I needed a transfusion 2 years ago by a doctor. I would rather eat ice than food . Haven't lost much wieght from it though.

Posted by: Jen at October 7, 2003 08:49 AM
I am sitting at the internet chunking down ice and wonder what is wrong with me I have to have my ice piled up to the top of my glass like an ice glacier and I get so excited when I see it and while crunching on in I get so excited I tell myself I am the happiest person in the whole world. I go to the store and buy it asking the store owner is his ice stale yes ice can be stale I know my ice and it better smell good or I am very angry. If I see my icebag getting low in the freezer I run out and buy another quickly. I take my vitimins daily so what is my problem? I wll go out in the middle of the night and get ice and If I don't have any I will start screaming. I am glad to see that I am not alone that their are many other ice addicts. I get my ice for the Sonic also 8lb bag already crused and it is sooooo goooood Ice Member

Posted by: Avis at October 8, 2003 10:12 AM
I'm addicted to ice too! I love ice so much and I thought I was the only one! I hate it because it's bad for you teeth. I guess I don't have enough iron. I will have to think about taking some iron suppliments! This is a great site

Posted by: Steph at October 8, 2003 08:04 PM
Glad to know I am not alone. But HOW DO I STOP? I will try to go cold turkey when my current ice supply runs out. With every chew I think about the cracks in my teeth already and the chip in the front... I really WANT to stop chewing ice... Any ideas for how to stop?

Guess I will look into a multivitamin. I don't think I am anemic, but it can't hurt!

-Kelly

Posted by: popcornkelly at October 13, 2003 09:17 AM
I am thinking it has to do with the temperature of you mouth. I mean think about it. Ice is water, just frozen. I drink water all of the time, but I still crave ice. It is something about its coldness that I just love. I love ice cream too. But I don't crave it nearly as much. My addiction has been going on for the past month. I have always liked ice, but I now eat it all day long. I am borderline anemic and pregnant. I don't really want to stop because it is so good. I sound like a drug addict or something. That is pretty bad. Anyway, I wish a Dr. would visit this site and tell us all why we chew that awsome cold stuff out of the freezer.

Posted by: Missy at October 13, 2003 03:42 PM
I'm at the end of my 3rd pregnancy in 4 years and I started chewing ice about a month ago. Like most of you, I fill up a cup overflowing with ice and water and wait for the cubes to melt so that they are chewable. Today I learned at a prenatal visit that my iron was low...so I guess it is due to an iron deficiency. But seriously, I must chew about 50 to 75 cubes a day. It is so addicting.

Posted by: Julie at October 15, 2003 08:52 PM
OK here is something.

"Pica" refers to an abnormal consumption which may be either something not eaten by a "normal" person or the excessive consumption of a single foodstuff

So Ice Muncher "Pagophagia" is a form of Pica..
The clinical term for our problem it's called: "Pagophagia"

pa·go·pha·gia
the compulsive eating of ice that is a common symptom of a lack of iron .

There are other serious cases but like kidney problems (don't get worried)
In simple cases like our Ice crunching is due to :

1. cultural habit

2. poor nutrition

3. craving associated with pregnancy or
other conditions. The clinical term is
called "Cissa" Talk to your doctor..

4. Regarding the person with Bypass surgery remember your now have poor absorption of vitamins and minerals so you probably have nutritional deficiencies check with your doctor about replacing these vitmins an minerals.. for example zinc and Iron..

In some cases taking Iron supplements will decrease craving over time depending on the dosage.
You know you are a Ice Craver "Pagophagia"

If you purposeful consumption of >= 1 standard tray of ice daily for at least 2 months

It worked for me.

My two cents and a half...

Hopes this helps and gives you insight to our Craving..

Pamm

Posted by: Pammytree at October 16, 2003 12:12 PM
Wow!! Small world eh?? I too was following my habitual ice chewing routine tonight when my friend told me that it's a sign of sexual frustration. I decided to Google it and prove her wrong...but I'm not sure whether I can do that yet, seeing as there's no yes or no answer for that! I'm 16 years old and I chew so much ice its ridiculous...I actually go into ice withdrawal where I get into a really bad mood if I can't have my ice! It's horrible...I tried taking iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. but I kept forgetting about them..besides i'd much rather chew my ice in peace.

Ice Chewers United at last!!

Posted by: shiraz at October 21, 2003 12:41 AM
I really felt alone in my addiction until I found all of you! I am sitting here at work, eating my huge Nalgene bottle of ice, as usual, so I decide to Google search my "problem" How exciting that there are other addicts out there. I know for sure that I am anemic...unfortunately, I really only take my iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. before I donate blood. But, the truth is, I really don't want to give up my habit anyway. I love ice! I love the way it smells too....you all know that smell, very cold and fresh.....like winter! I too, am quite picky about my ice style! That is for the best too, since some ice is much easier on the teeth. The best ice (don't laugh) is the soft ice that looks like rabbit turds! It is so delicious! or, just try soaking the ice in water to make it chewable! This stuff gets me in so much trouble. My profs yell at me all the time, and my friends mock me for being sexually frustrated! Who knows....I just love the stuff, that is all I can say!

Pagophagics unite :)

Posted by: Erin at October 23, 2003 10:13 AM
I am so glad to see this sight. I am on my 4th glass of ice in about an 8 hour day. I can't get enough of it, when my cup is empty I get so bummed out. My husband always yells at me because all 6 ice cube trays will be empty and we will both only have been home for about 3 hours. I love, cant get enough of it. My one tooth is even starting to hurt and I still crunch it up whenever possible. Then again, I too have a problem with my hemogloben, though they haven't determined why it is always so low.

Posted by: Jen at October 25, 2003 06:18 PM
Thank god there are others.... I just found out today that I am anemic also. Huh. Who would have thunk it. Keep chewing!!

Posted by: cheryl at October 31, 2003 02:25 PM
Hello, I'm a student journalist doing an article on chewing ice and wondered if anyone out there knows if there have been any statistics published about it. How many of you are out there etc.? Basically, any pointers that anyone can give to help me with the article (be it info on the psychological, medical, or social, side) would be gratefully received. Also, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is 'sonic' ice?

Posted by: John at November 2, 2003 10:21 PM
I began chewing ice 6 or 7 years ago when I moved into a home that had well water. I don't know if there's a correlation ... missing the additives in public water. I have been unable to donate blood through the Red Cross because of a low blood count. There are times I walk out of my house carrying a tray of ice cubes to eat in the car, and that's just for starters. I eat ice all day long, in the car, in the office, at home. I sit with trays of ice and chew while I'm watching television.

I eat so much ice that my sinuses and ears ache. I've always worried that it's the beginning of something more serious, because I know someone who had a habit of chewing ice and the cause of his death years down the road was cancer. Sounds ridiculous, but I worry about the red blood cells thing ... ice ... illness.

Anybody else have a thought about this?

Posted by: Kathleen at November 7, 2003 01:26 AM
wow...this is crazy. i've chewed ice for my whole life...when i was young, my dad loved ice and i was the only one who started chewing it too. i seriously cannot give it up, even though i've been told how bad it can be for your teeth. i have a low iron count, but even when i took iron supplements, i never lost the craving for ice. any other reasons for the addiction?

Posted by: Sarah at November 7, 2003 08:24 PM
Yes, Ice Chewing is directly from Anemia. Now, I am doing further searching to see where the Anemia comes from. In my case, I have Menorrhagia (heavy bleeding during period) and this is from Uterine Fibroids. AH HA! Fibroids = Heavy bleeding = Anemia = ice chewing. VERY INTERESTING!

Posted by: Piper at November 9, 2003 07:36 PM
This site is the greatest thing in the world. All of you are wonderful people. I love chewing ice but i would also like to not be so dependent on it. I too go through ice withdrawal, my mouth starts to water and i get in a really pissy mood. When i go to work the only thing that i think about is going home, opening me freezer, cracking my ice cube trays and sitting in front of the tv with a huge cup of ice. I really want to know the cause of my addiction. I'm not anemic so that's not it but I haven't had sex in like three yrs so that maybe that's the reason that it's gotten so bad. hmmm...what do u think?

Posted by: skittles at November 9, 2003 10:25 PM
Another ice addict has just logged in! Don't know about the iron deficiency etc, but what I do know is that I've just paid a massive dentist bill for 4 huge fillings that were cracked and couldn't be replaced! - So I had to have the teeth crowned!
After visiting this Website I figure it mainly just a bad habit that I'm going to have to choose to break if I'm to spare my teeth and my husband, friends and family the frustration of having me chomp ice around them! - It takes, they say, 31
consecutive days to either make or break a habit!
- I'll let you know if/when I 'crack' it!
Sheri

Posted by: Sheri at November 10, 2003 10:10 AM
hi

i've been thinking of making a short documentary about ice craving, known as pagophagia. would anyone be interested in sharing their stories on film.

can any of you who live in montreal, canada or near by email me?

thanks

Posted by: ive been eating ice at November 10, 2003 06:22 PM
Ahhh, to be addicted to ice, my parents even banned me from it ;)

Anyway, turns out I'm anaemic, so does the ice cause this or is just a resultant addiction?

Posted by: Another Sufferer at November 11, 2003 04:52 AM
This oens to that student, John

People like us? How dare you! :)

Anyway, if you search on google for ice cube addictions/cravings youll come up with quite a lot.

POWER TO THE ICE!

Out.

Posted by: Another Sufferer at November 11, 2003 04:55 AM
Oh my!! Forty some odd years of craving ice and I'm not alone. Yes, I am anemic and sometimes take iron but I looove ice. Sonic is one of the best. Now for something really weird, but many of you younger ones may not have ever had the opportunity to experience...I am embarrassed to say it.....frost from a freezer. Is there anyone out there who has ever scraped frost out of an older model freezer. It is probably the ultimate fix. I wonder what the long term effects of amenia are?

Posted by: cat at November 16, 2003 09:05 PM
So is being on the Titanic a fantasy for you people? Rather than the nightmare it is for the rest of us.

Posted by: John at November 17, 2003 11:06 PM
Hello All!

I've noticed you have been using my site as a place to post your ice chewing experiences. I have created a new section just for you ice chewers!!

The Ice Chewers Bulletin Board at: http://automaticrabbit.com/icechew

Enjoy!

Posted by: todd at November 18, 2003 10:14 AM

Im cracking ice and laughing at the same time. Yep, I too was chew'n my daily dose of melted bliss when this board came up. Was also doing a search for why this habit is soooo hard to break. I love my ice! My husband and kids hate it though. After years of this, I was going to try and kick the habit. Seems its to the grocery store I go for some iron.
For the sexual frusteration myth - its just a myth. Non-ice eaters made it up so they could get us ice eaters into bed :P I think they like the sexy sound of the chomping.

Posted by: N at November 20, 2003 12:54 PM
What kind of a house doesnt have ice? I am a constant ice chewer. Its seriously an addiction and I have no ice here. I've been here for 4 hours and i am going through an ice withdrawal. I operate on Ice and Green Tea. I over flow a cup with ice and put either sprite, iced green tea, or water in it. I cant drink anything without ice unless it comes from a can. I dont know whats wrong with me. I heard they are from iron deficiencies and all, which is possible in my case because I dont eat much meet. Also, I've heard its from sexual frustration, which isn't possible in my case because I get enough... but umm.. maybe its just a habit?? I think some people should get together and do a study on it. Umm.. I really could have some ice right now im about to freak!!!

Posted by: Kristy at November 20, 2003 09:49 PM
Umm.. Yeah this is me again, I made the very last post. I decided to come back and see if anyone responded to my ice post. This weekend I poured a glass of water with ice cubes overflowing in it, and tried to drink the water without eating the ice. It was like a mind of matter thing, and it kinda worked until the ice cubes got bite-size which was perfect, and I chewed them all up. It made me feel so much better. It's like it makes my mouth cool down and when I dont have my ice before bed I have to sleep without the covers because im too hot. Well I just needed to get that out of me.. umm thanks for all of u who are listening.. lol watching.. even though no1 has responded. Umm thanks to whoever made this site!

Posted by: Kristy at November 24, 2003 03:12 PM
This is too much! I finally feel like I fit in somewhere! After a year of crunching my ice (I would go through an 8lb. bag a day) - I too found out that I was severly anemic. I drove everyone nuts... including myself. I couldn't get enough of it. Had to have it with me everywhere I went. I was starting to worry that I would "freeze" my brain - lol. I can't wait to show this site to my husband. He thought I was just trying to drive HIM crazy!

Posted by: Tina at November 25, 2003 03:25 PM
yeah, but they started a whole new place for us to post at http://www.automaticrabbit.com/icechew

u should check it out. it's really nice.

Posted by: skittles at November 26, 2003 03:24 AM
Hi Family,
I love you guys, I have been chewing ice since
1983 and loving it. I have to have ice at least three to four times an hour, I even take commerical breaks to go to my freezer to get crushed ice. I love the smell it makes my mouth water. I'm from the old school. I use to scrape it out of my mother-in-laws old freezer with a spoon. My husband and I have been married for years and he hates my chewing ice. I can't help it. When he's trying to sleep, I go out into the hall leading from my bedroom in the dark and chew ice. I too am an anemic and so far have great teeth. He found this website hoping that I would have a different outlook on eating ice. Now that I have found my real brothers and sisters I do not feel alone anymore.

Posted by: liz at November 26, 2003 08:58 PM
It's crazy because I never imagined so many people could have an ice addiction...it's crazy! I can maxx about 10 trays a day, but I don't drink water. Is my ice eating subsituting for mandatory water intake? To all my ice eaters- Keep it freezing!!

Posted by: Tiara at December 1, 2003 02:28 PM
My most embarassing moment involves ice...When I was seven, I tried to scrap the ice from the top of the fridge with a spoon. When that didn't work, I put my lips on the freezer!!
I'm 21 years old and my family still talks about the day my lips got stuck to the freezer...THEY HAD TO CALL THE AMBULANCE...UNPLUGG THE FREEZER...and hope for the best..My lips were swollen for two weeks.
It was crazy, and funny!!
T

Posted by: Tiara at December 1, 2003 02:33 PM
Yay! More ice crunchers! I'm seriously addicted to it and.....anemic. But i can't imagine my life without it, i've been chewing ice for at least the past 5 years. I thought i would die when i moved out of my parents house with the crushed ice dispenser and into an apartment with a freezer without an ice maker *gasp!* but now i've discovered the joys of ice tray ice. My favorite is to fill them only a 1/3 of the way up so they freeze faster and you don't have to suck on them to melt them before you can chew. Seriously, they are the equivilant of those mini hersey bars then. Or i can walk to the laundry room and get ice cubes from the machine there, then my favorite is to fill a glass all the way up with ice, pour warm water in it and carefully dump the water out real quick so that it makes the ice a little softer but they don't melt as fast as if they were sitting in the water. I never drink water unless i'm at a restuarant and the only way i can crunch ice is to act like i'm drinking the water but just take big gulps to take in the ice too.

Posted by: ashley at December 3, 2003 02:50 AM
I have been chewing on ice for two years now.
I am also anemic and stopped taking iron. I am starting to take it again. So far, I still crave ice. My cousin also eats ice as well and we both substitute snacks and me personally, some meals. Has anyone heard of it's effect on the kidneys? Also, my blood work showed that my red blood cells were abnormal in their shape (this caused my doctor to do more blood work). I think it is because of the ice. Somehow, I am probably not getting enough of the oxygen found in water.

Posted by: Katie at December 4, 2003 05:36 AM
Ah my people! currently eating ice heh. I am anemic and have been chomping on ice for years. I know it's tied in but no one has yet to tell me WHY anemic people eat ice.... I'm looking everywhere to find out. If any of you find the real reason please let me know... Glad to know there's more of you out there :-D

Posted by: Erica at December 4, 2003 07:05 PM
I started chewing ice about 5 years ago, thru my last pregnancy. I love ice. My husband gets soooooo annoyed if he can hear me chewing the ice. He smokes, drinks, burps, and has gas all the time....but I am the one with the bad habit???? Ice has no calories, it's free, and it makes me happy. So---screw him! I am anemic and have an iron deficiency also----so go figure. I don't like to take iron supplements because they cause some other unpleasant side effects for me....but I do take them for a few weeks before I go to give blood---or else I'd be turned away. Even when I take them I still chew ice. I can't get in the car without a big cup of ice!

Posted by: Annette at December 11, 2003 01:20 PM
Hi folks. I just happened upon the ice chewers corner of the universe, not knowing you all even existed! I just went to search "ice chewing" because I chew constantly and my husband and family and coworkers won't shut up about it. I love my ice and relate to everything you guys are saying. I eat about 5 liter-size cups a day. Last thing before going to bed and first thing when I get up and all day long in between, for about 8 months now. 3 months ago I had surgery to stop my heavy utering bleeding and have been anemic for years but never connected the 2. I can't imagine not craving and eating ice, even if my blood was normal. It just feel SOOOOOOgood!!! neenee

Posted by: neenee at December 12, 2003 06:38 AM
Wow! I thought I was the only one with this new weird habit. I just started craving ice about three to four days ago. I have been wondering why I have this craving for chewing ice. I am enjoying it, but it seems strange to me. Maybe I just have an iron deficiency. I will have to check it out. I stopped at the store this morning to buy a bag of ice so that I could chew on the stuff all day at work. I loved it.

Posted by: Martha at December 13, 2003 12:05 AM
i'm 30 and have loved chewing ice for most of my life! i just finished eating 3 popsicles in a row... (i make them out of fruit juice) they freeze up softer than ice - so aren't as hard on the teeth - and they satisfy my craving... i too, like someone else on this board, love the smell of the freezer - it makes me drool. i once had a bit of an iron deficiency but my doctor said it wouldn't have been enough of one to cause a 'pica' - whatever it is, ice is great. when i have enough money, i'm gonna by one of those fridges with an ice maker - they make the best soft ice i've ever tasted - does anyone know how to make that soft ice in a regular freezer?

Posted by: billie at December 13, 2003 11:16 AM
I can't believe that I'm not alone. I've been chewing on ice since I was little and have been suffering from low iron for just as long. Just like most of the people on here I am chewing on ice right now as I type. I chew it so much that my lips get numb and I start to slur. I guess that pretty bad. I'll even chew on ice in the winter and will be shivering the whole time. I think iron does play a big part in ice chewing because any time that my levels are normal I don't crave it. I'm really thankful that I'm not the only one..

Posted by: Britt at December 13, 2003 06:08 PM
I thouht I was the only one who chewed ice.My dentist says it is probably the sensation I get from chewing since I don't like to just suck on it I have to chew.I am called the Ice Queen at work,in the summer I never overheat and at times I have to have hot showers since I get so cold,I never get hot flashes.I have an icemaker on my fridge and this icechewing just started about 2 years ago and I have had this fridge for 5 years.When I am without ice it doesn't bother me and I would rather chew ice then drink water.

Posted by: Ellen at December 14, 2003 12:39 PM
I have chewed on ice for close to 5 years now .It's sooooo relaxing and invigorating at the same time.
It has nothing to do with sexual frustration because I still chew ice after sex.
It irritates my husband, blocks my sinuses ,but makes me feel good.
I am anaemic with fibriods and heavy periods so indeed maybe there is a link and I should try iron supplements.It hasn't helped me lose any weight though!

Posted by: Udoka at December 30, 2003 06:24 PM
This forum is great! Thank you!

Go to The Ice Chewers Bulletin Board at: http://automaticrabbit.com/icechew

Posted by: beatlegirl at December 31, 2003 01:22 AM
OH MY GOSH, I WROTE THE BOOK WHEN IT COMES TO CHEWING ICE. AND I ONLY LIKE THE WHITE ICE, NOT THE CLEAR. I HAVE 8 CEREAL SIZE BOWLS IN MY FREEZER AT ALL TIMES WITH ABOUT 3/4" OF WATER WHEN FROZEN I THROW IT IN MY PLASTIC BAG AND WHACK IT WITH A HAMMER UNTIL IT IS CRUSHED VERY FINE. I DO ALL THE HAMMERING WHILE MY HUSBAND AND TWO TEENAGE DAUGHTERS ARE AWAY FROM HOME. ITS ALOT FUSS BUT ITS SOOOO GOOD. HOW CRAZY IS THAT MY IRON IS ALWAYS UNBELIEVABLY LOW THE DOCTORS ASK ME HOW DO I STAND UP. I LEARNED TO PICK THINGS UP WITH MY TOES SO THAT I DONT GET DIZZY BENDING OVER.BUT BUT HEY ITS NEW YEAR'S EVE SO I'LL EAT ME SOME GREENS AND FINISH THEM OFF WITH A WONDERFUL CUP OF ICE FOR DESSERT.HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE BE SAFE AND VERY HAPPY.

Posted by: DEBBIE at December 31, 2003 02:06 PM
do u notice that most of us ice chewers (the ones that post here anyway) are females

Posted by: skittles at December 31, 2003 03:06 PM
Well, I thought I was crazy.... Plain and simply crazy. I love ice, I chew it all the time. At work I freeze a wide mouth water bottle for a few hours until mostly frozen and chomp away all afternoon long. I even know what stores, convience places and snack shops will not charge you for a large cup of ice. Even if they do I am willing to pay for it when I am out shopping or something. I am sure this ice chewing drives everyone insane, but I swear I can't help it. I am going to try some of the wonderful freezing ideas from this site. I am also sooooo glad to know I am not out here alone. Yes, I am anemic, have been for years...Well, thank God for ICE!!!

Posted by: Tam at January 2, 2004 10:53 AM
Started chewing fanatically about 6 months ago. Not sure what caused me to start, the iron deficiency theory could be to blame. In any case, I'm driving my family crazy! I go to sleep with a tall drink overflowing w/ice (I don't even want the drink but it softens the ice! YUM!) and take a large container of ice to work with me each day.

Have had runny nose and sinus problems for about 4 months now. Anyone else have these problems? Maybe I'll try the iron....but will I go into ice withdrawal?? LOL!

Posted by: Cathy at January 4, 2004 02:15 PM
Hey,I'm so glad I'm not alone... ok first of all, I am addicted to ice... not all ice... not the big, clear, cubes, but the chewable ice, from snow to the foggy white ice chips, i can do... I'm not sure about Sonic's ice, but I tell ya the best ice (besides the "compressed nuggets" they have in the hospital) is at Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Ikea furniture stores. Question is... does anybody know of any machines for home that can produce the soft chewable compressed nuggets?

And for the record, I have absolutely NO dental problems... no chipped, ground, worn-down teeth, no cavities... NOTHING... (I think this is something we're told by folks who just don't want us to eat ice, and frankly nothing irritates me more than folks who get so irritated by what other folks eat...lol) Professional ice eaters like us know not to eat the bad, sharp dangerous kind anyway...lol

Posted by: NfiniteSpirit at January 4, 2004 03:25 PM
hello all!!
I am so glad to be among fellow "Ice Chewers." I too am anemic and have very low iron. I have the sickle cell trait so this could be why I am like this but who knows. I love ice so much and I cannot get it out of my system. I was reading all of the posts and going back to the person who was talking about the freezer ice really brought back memories. I am 29 years old and my Grandparents had one of those freezers and I would always go in there and scrap the ice out. That was the best ice in the world. Now I am addicted to the 7-Eleven by my job because they have the good crushed up ice and no other store has it. I also love the ice at the hospital and wished I worked there to eat that ice all the time.

Chew on everyone!

Posted by: Stacey at January 4, 2004 10:04 PM
Hello again everyone. I'm getting ready to completely move to the new board at:

http://www.automaticrabbit.com/icechew

Please post there as this page will not be around forever. I will do my best to archive all these posts on the new site though! Hope everyone enjoys it.

-todd

Posted by: todd at January 5, 2004 02:41 PM
My God I am so glad I came across this site, I have been craving ice so badly, I too am anemic with low wbc. the person who said she craves dirt thank you I am not alone. I freeze water bottles just to crack it before totally frozen just to eat the ice. I also drink the water, its one way of getting my daily intake.

Posted by: Verna at January 23, 2004 12:34 PM
Oh happy day!! I have finally found other folks with the same issue!! Maybe it isn't the healthiest thing to be chewing, but hey. It could be a lot worse. Munch on, ice chewers!

Posted by: kitty at January 27, 2004 12:51 AM
After visiting this site, I took the plunge and started some iron supplements.
My life has changed.
I no longer crave ice.I still chew the odd cube now and again but its not quite the same.
I don't feel any withdrawal at all.
It's amazing!!!

Posted by: udoka at January 27, 2004 03:38 PM
Was at Disneyland today with my sister and daughter, started chewing on ice, and my sister asked if I was sexually frustrated. My daughter was repulsed by the question, but said she had heard the same thing. About two years ago, I was chewing on ice while reading the LA Times and saw an article titled - "Ice Chewing can be a sign of anemia." Went to donate blood the next day and was turned down because I was anemic. I had been put on prescription iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. for a year, doctor took me off of them last year, must be anemic again because the cravings have started up again. But the cravings do go away while taking iron.

Posted by: LauraAnne at January 28, 2004 01:26 AM
I absolutely hate the sound of someone crunching persistently on ice. I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard for the rest of my life. I also hate ice chewers who are completely ignorant to the fact that it is a terrible annoyance to those who do not chew on ice.

Posted by: ICE-CHEWER-HATER at January 28, 2004 09:45 PM
I know this is crazy and all but i never thought i would find this web site. I just finished my ice chewing about a minute ago and withdrawing. I really really hate it when you eat all you ice and then you have to wait for some more. I dont know what happened to me. All of a sudden I get an addiction for ice and now its like a huge part of my life. At work at home or even at a wedding you will find me in the back crunching down on it and sometimes i cant even begin to speak correctly because of the numbness. HAHAHA.

Posted by: Raquel at February 2, 2004 11:12 PM
I didn't know ice and anemia were associated. Still don't know for sure, but it looks like a few people could be some proof. Wish I could find out why! I take my ice addiction by spells. I am anemic. Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I will be keeping close watch on it. I'm taking prescription iron now, I'll know in a few weeks, maybe.

Posted by: Cathy at February 3, 2004 03:41 PM
I didn't know ice and anemia were associated. Still don't know for sure, but it looks like a few people could be some proof. Wish I could find out why! I take my ice addiction by spells. I am anemic. Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I will be keeping close watch on it. I'm taking prescription iron now, I'll know in a few weeks, maybe.

Posted by: Cathy at February 3, 2004 03:41 PM
I thought I was alone, but I'm sooo not! I want ice all the time as well. I used to buy a coke at Sonic and ask for extra ice and then drain all the coke out so that my ice would be flavored! I love ice tea that's been melting too. I knew I was amenic, but who would have thought that was a sign?? At lunch, one of the guys will always ask the waitress for a to-go cup of ice for me, so we don't have to wait. I'm home now and still crunching!!

Posted by: Kim at February 3, 2004 05:06 PM
Hello ice chewers!

As some of you already know I have migrated this board to a new site. There will no longer be posts to this area. I will soon archive these posts on the new site at:

http://www.automaticrabbit.com/icechew

I hope you enjoy!

Posted by: todd at February 4, 2004 08:48 AM
automaticr
Site Admin

Return to Archives