Anemia

Possible medical based reasons for ice chewing.

Anemia

Postby beatlegirl » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:15 am

My mother is a nurse, and has always told me I needed to take iron supplements to help curb my cravings. She was low on iron and craved ice, but iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. helped her. I recenly had some bloodwork done, and was told I was not anemic! Soooooooooo, I don't know what the deal is. But I am obsessed with ice, and my teeth are paying the price. My expensive porcelin fillings are being wrecked! :x
beatlegirl

blah

Postby redox » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:24 am

i've been anemic for years now and oddly enough i found out when trying to give blood...

i wish to hell i wasn't b/c of some of the side effects but i <3 chewing ice.... that too can be annoying at time.. some ppl jus don't understand.. :cry:

i'm out of ice now i'd making some more.. it's like a drug! :lol:
redox

Postby IceQueen » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:32 pm

Might want to soften the ice in a glass of water for a bit before the chomping. It helps keep the teeth and fillings from breaking.
I keep two cups going, one for the eating, one for the melting. When I'm not home, I dont seem to have the same need for ice.

You could also try smaller cubes, if you fill a tray.

Someone is missing a market here... There's an invention worth a million in this - somewhere....
IceQueen

Re: Anemia

Postby lida » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:31 pm

[quote="beatlegirl"]My mother is a nurse, and has always told me I needed to take iron supplements to help curb my cravings.

i have heard that ice chewing is due to a vitamin defficiency, but no one seems to know what vitamin it is!! I really love chewing ice, its how i get my 64 ozs of liquid per day, it helps me to avoid eating junk food, and it helps me relieve stress!!
crunch!
lida

Postby guest » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:02 am

has anyone heard that ice chewing may be a result of sexual tension? :)

Ice Shavers

Postby Hannah's Mom » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:28 pm

I just found this web site and am shocked that there IS a web site. My four year old daughter has been begging for ice chips for about 6-9 months. I always give it to her...What harm? right? While flossing her teeth I noticed a chipped tooth. Now I know the harm. I am now making an appointment to have her iron checked. I must say, looking back, I have had some ice issues (at times). At one point I purchased an ice shaver made by Pampered Chef. It rocks. Give it a try. Enjoy, your teeth with be happier.
Hannah's Mom

Re: reply

Postby Hannah's mom » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:30 pm

IceQueen wrote:Might want to soften the ice in a glass of water for a bit before the chomping. It helps keep the teeth and fillings from breaking.
I keep two cups going, one for the eating, one for the melting. When I'm not home, I dont seem to have the same need for ice.

You could also try smaller cubes, if you fill a tray.

Someone is missing a market here... There's an invention worth a million in this - somewhere....

Pampered Chef makes the product. It is called an Ice Shaver
Hannah's mom

Chewing ICE

Postby Gina » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:48 am

When I was pregnant I chewed ice like crazy! I also ended up with two broken teeth before it was all over. I had very low iron and had to take iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. everyday. I don't know if there's a connection with that because other people that have normal iron and were pregnant liked to chew ice also. It was almost like the craving light switch was shut off right after I had my dauthger. I haven't chewed ice since then nor had the craving to do so. That was 16 years ago so I'm not sure if it's just pregnancy related cravings or the iron.. :P
Gina

Chewing while pregnant

Postby Tina » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:57 am

I chewed ice like crazy during all three of my pregnancies. I had no other cravings. About 2 days after each birth, the cravings went away. The funny thing is, that I don't even put ice in my drinks, normally. Just recently, I was getting my husband ice for his drink. The next thing I knew, I had the whole ice cube tray dumped out and I was picking out the small pieces of ice and eating them. I never ate ice cubes. It had to be small pieces that I could crunch on. I don't know what triggered the craving. Maybe it's always there and when you're pregnant, with your emotions running high, it's impossible to deny the desire to crunch ice. :?
Tina

get your blood checked NOW!

Postby janht » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:02 pm

Please listen to this old gal's advice! I chewed ice for many many years. Routine bloodwork did not show anemia, but a pre-surgery workup did show me to be anemic. Since taking that one prescription of iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us., I immediately ceased my craving for chewing ice. Please, go see a dr. & get some iron before you crack your teeth seriously, as i did! Don't ruin your pretty smiles! :o)[/b]
janht

Re: Chewing while pregnant

Postby Ice is Life » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:47 pm

Tina wrote:I chewed ice like crazy during all three of my pregnancies. I had no other cravings. About 2 days after each birth, the cravings went away. The funny thing is, that I don't even put ice in my drinks, normally. Just recently, I was getting my husband ice for his drink. The next thing I knew, I had the whole ice cube tray dumped out and I was picking out the small pieces of ice and eating them. I never ate ice cubes. It had to be small pieces that I could crunch on. I don't know what triggered the craving. Maybe it's always there and when you're pregnant, with your emotions running high, it's impossible to deny the desire to crunch ice. :?

I also ONLY craved ice during pregnancy and years later discovered it was anemia which I have now. I had an iron iv a few years ago and am in need of one again. 1 week after the iv the ice cravings went away - they started to come back about 5 months ago and kept getting worse so sure enough when I went to the doctor he said my ferritin levels were low again. I can't wait to get the iv treatment again - this habit is driving me insane - I can't think about anything else but chewing ice!
Ice is Life

ice chewing causes anemia

Postby fisgongora » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:14 pm

Eating ice is like a hobbie for me, no matter what the shape, I'll take it. Until one day my friend's cousin saw me chewing on ice. She asked me "did you know that chewing on ice alone causes anemia?". :shock: Consequently, I am anemic. This comment bugged me since it meant I probably had to stop my hobbie. But, I did some research and logged on to more than 20 respectable sites. The mayority agree that ice chewing (pica) is a symptom of anemia, while very few allegate that it causes anemia. I wish they would make up their mind so that I can eat my ice without being concerned about my health. :)
fisgongora

Postby tata18 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:20 pm

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and LOVE chewing ice. My boyfriend doesn't like it, he think its bad for the baby. I've also heard that craving ice means your iron in low...Before i got pregnant i was diagnosed with anemia,but i didnt start craving ice until AFTER i got pregnant..go figure :?:
tata18

Pregnant and an Ice chewer

Postby Sprout » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:31 am

I have been chewing ice like crazy the past month. I was told that it had something to do with a vitamin defeciency. When I read all the postings about low iron I found it rather interesting. I am not anemic, but I do take iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. because my iron is low. INTERESTING!!! Pregnancy or Iron???
Sprout

Postby Brainstorm » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:41 pm

Well, I finally made it to the doctor's office today. Yep, turns out I am anemic. Not to bad though (10.5). According to doc I should use the iron diet they gave me, take multivitamins and get rechecked in a month. I wonder if the craving will leave as the iron level comes up.. Guess I'll know in about a month. :? Till then...........CHOMP ON! :twisted:
Brainstorm

Next

Return to Medical Reasons