Anemia

Possible medical based reasons for ice chewing.

Postby SweetT72 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:05 pm

I can't believe it, my girlfriend just told me about this site :D

I can attest. I have been eating ice for at least 19 years now, it does damage to your teeth...ARG, but that's way I suck on ice.

When I first started chewing ice it was back in 1994 I had no idea why I just use to love to do it, it drove everyone in my family crazy. lol, lol

But I just found out a couple of years ago i have anemia. I take iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us.. I was told by my doctor to take 2 dosage a day, hate the side affects. I suck on my ice and eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and I check my food to see how much iron is in. hey did you know that reese cups has like 4% iron in it.
SweetT72

Postby Carly » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:10 pm

wow... is anyone else just a little creeped out that there's a whole forum on chewing ice? :P

i'm 14 and anemic, i have been for a while. one day over the summer, i was in my basement watching people play video games with a glass of ice water and a straw. one of the peices got sucked up the straw, i chewed it, and i've been hooked ever since.

i haven't had any teeth problems... yet. i usually fill the glass with water, too, so by the time i've finished the water, the cubes are partially melted. my family stares at me oddly when i chew ice... :? my dad says that Freud claimed that "he who chews on ice is sexually frustrated" but i think it's just because i'm anemic. i'm taking colostrum to help absorb iron, and my mom is constantly feeding me protein, but it doesn't seem to get any better... *sigh*

Carly

Anemia

Postby SweetT72 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi guys,
I just came back from a follow up appointment at the doctor and I want to confirm that it's true. If you have Anemia you are going to be chewing on ice. When you have that craving for ice your body is telling you need more iron. For those of you who haven't gone to the doctor to get check out I advice you to do so.

Take care of yourself :lol:
SweetT72

Postby River » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:33 pm

I'm new so hope I'm doing this right.

I've kind of gone in reverse with the ice chewing thing. I never chewed ice but had 'female problems' and my doctor was concerned that I might be anemic. dozens of tests later we find out that I'm unable to absorb vitamin B12....I could take B12 like crazy, pill form, but it wouldn't do a bit of good because my intestines can't absorb it. I now get B12 shots and have been for a year. During this past year, my doctor keeps doing bloodwork, checking for anemia and everything has been normal.

All of a sudden, in the past 2 weeks, I have this crazy craving to chew ice!!! We're going through ice like crazy and my husband thinks I've gone nuts. Has anyone else been like this?
River

Postby blueice » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:17 am

hey ya'all!

been a long time since i dropped by. i am slightly anaemic and love ice to bits. low blood count. and im glad there are many people out there like me. i do it discreetly coz many people dislike the sound and says it spoils the teeth. i can't help it. its like an addiction or craving. i think about it even as i'm typing now! and when that time of the month comes. my addiction increases. so anyone knows the correlation between iron and ice?

love ice
An icebag a day keeps the sadness away!
blueice

Postby gnome13 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm

anemia-glass-of-ice!!!
i apologize in advance.
gnome13

Postby peter » Tue May 15, 2007 5:43 am

i'v been suffering in animia for last 15 years. :( my father worked in a government hospital,and used to bring a lot of medicines for me.he told me to eat red vegetable and some other foods which carry iron.
Last edited by peter on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
peter

Postby raya » Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 pm

I love to chew ice also, I've been going crazy over ice for the past few months. I thought that I was just crazy because I seem to be the only one who love chewing ice, but then I found this site and realize that the reason why most people chew ice is because they are anemic. I had a miscarriage recently and I lost a lot of blood, so I'm thinking that I could also be anemic, my doctor had prescribed iron tablets for me and I didn't bother, so after reading up the posts on this site I decided to get the tablets. Since that my crazy cravings have mellow down. I don't chew all the time now, but I still do love to chew ice.
raya

anemia

Postby icedidi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:45 pm

i've eaten ice for years now and have had low blood counts many times but only recently made the connection! i dont think its a major problem though. people like us who crave ice and either dont want to or cannot give up, should just eat iron rich foods (green leafy veg, apricots etc) and maybe take a supplement. i dont know what the answer is for the teeth, melting ice is softer and some of the cubes you buy in bags also seem easier on the mouth. its probably best to find what you can manage and stick to that!
icedidi

Postby speedracer98 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:06 pm

yea my mom had the same thing and she almost died

dont become anemic. dont chew ice

i win
speedracer98

A sympton, not a cause!

Postby slim icy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:58 pm

Chewing ice does NOT cause anemia, rather, ice chewing is a SYMPTON of anemia. However, this isn't always the case. For example, I was never much of an ice chewer until now, however, I have had anemia in the past (it comes and goes). I do not have anemia now (I get yearly physicals to make sure I'm in tiptop shape, as everyone should), but I chew ice twice a day (2 cups in the morning on my way to work, and 2 cups at nite before bed...about 3 or 4 trays a day). I like white ice the best and like to let it sit in my cup for a while so it can melt (easier on the teeth). Consequently, most women usually have a low form of anemia because of our monthly. But even when I had to take iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us., I still chewed ice.
Last edited by slim icy on Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slim icy

Previous

Return to Medical Reasons