Help me STOP, for health reasons..

Possible medical based reasons for ice chewing.

Help me STOP, for health reasons..

Postby nickylagrange » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Hello everyone, I am only 22 and have serious health issues like obesity!
I chew on ice over 20 times per day, I'm addicted, and I'm worried because I don't know if its water weight or what, but the weight keeps going up. I want to stop chewing the ice because I don't know if some of the health issues are related to it or not but I don't wanna take any chances so in order to help me to stop please tell me all the bad things about chewing ice, tell me all the side effects and why I should stop.....please and thank you!!!!!
nickylagrange

Re: Help me STOP, for health reasons..

Postby Jahulobo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi! I am not a doctor, but I am pretty positive that your weight gain wouldn't be due to chewing ice. Water doesn't have any calories, fat, carbohydrates, protein, sugar, etc... It is true that you can have a few extra pounds of "water weight" due to water retention, but--- if you are progressively gaining weight, the most likely cause is that you are consuming more calories each day than you are using up each day. I have heard many people say, "I hardly eat anything", or "I really don't eat much at all". However, if you are "really and truly" being honest with yourself, and you "really and truly" want to lose weight, than you will need to acknowledge that you are in fact eating more than you are admitting to eating. The best way to gauge how many calories you are consuming, is to write down even the littlest morsel of food that you put in to your mouth. You might be very surprised at how much you are actually consuming each day.

I hope that you find the root cause of your health issues and I hope that you feel better soon. I know from personal experience that eating healthy and exercising is so important to "well being". It changes the way I feel about myself, and makes me want to feel even better.

Best wishes to you! Keep us posted!
Jahulobo

Postby jziemann » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Well, I can tell you that it will definitely mess up your teeth and since you are only 22 it's somethng you really don't want to happen(check out the price of root canals or worse, dentures!) First, I would go have a blood test. I had an over whelming desire to chew ice for 6 months. I couldn't leave the house without a couple ziplock bags and I would chew all day-even while I was on the phone doing business! I just couldn't stop. When I mentioned it to my doctor he immediately said it was pica caused by an iron deficiency. When my blood work came back-I had like NO iron. My doctor was afraid I was bleeding somewhere internally and immediately ordered a colonoscopy(ouch!). Luckily(it really wasn't such a horrible procedure) my colon is fine. Whew, I won't have to do that for another 10 years now. So I went on a very high dose of iron 1 gram 3 times daily. It really took a while-after one month, my level was up to 6 but normal is 10 to 200 so I wasn't safe yet. He agreed to let me wait one more month but if it isn't up to 10 I will have to do IV therapy. I just took my blood test today so I should know tomorrow. BUT I will say that the craving for ice just disappeared like 2 weeks ago. I have actually been throwing ice away! I no longer order extra ice in restaurants, etc. It's gone and I really don't even like it much at all anymore. It's is the strangest thing cuz I can remember how obsessed I was just a few weeks ago.
Anyway, your weight gain could be hormonal. You MUST get in to see a doctor or go to a health fair(if you can't afford the doctor) and get some good blood work done. PS, did I mention that my hair started to fall out too? it still is... :o that is all.
jziemann

Postby nickylagrange » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:27 pm

THANK BOTH of you....yall have helped me to stop the cravings for ICEE.
nickylagrange

Postby james79 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:57 am

I truly astounded by your publish regards. I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us.Your work is carry the information to the other people.
james79

Postby janemcready » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:29 am

Even though water is good for the body, if it is in an excessive amount it harm your body. Whatever is your food diet, keep all in a controlled manner to have a healthy body? You may see a doctor to check why you are putting weight. There might be other health issues such as thyroid, recycled pallets which is increasing your weight.
janemcready

Return to Medical Reasons