Ice makes you gain Weight>>>>>>>>>

Possible medical based reasons for ice chewing.

Ice makes you gain Weight>>>>>>>>>

Postby SWEETICE » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 am

I was looking at something on TV and they were saying something about eating Ice makes you gain weight, and puts in on faster.
Has anyone heard of this?
SWEETICE

Ice causing weight gain. . . ?

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:35 pm

I've never heard this; Sounds odd to me that crunching ice would make a person gain weight. Ice, in all it's forms is basically water which brings to mind the old eight glasses of water theory. still it makes one wonder how much ice you'd have to eat to equal one eight ounce glass of water. I can't think of any die-hard ice chewer willing to-Shudder-melt their ice to find out. If there is any weight gain it would have to be nothing more than water weight which is a temporary thing. Hope this helps and crunch on! ! ! :)
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

Postby SWEETICE » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:52 am

Yes, It helps. Thanks, but Im still going to try and find out what program that was. I hope I was day dreaming when I heard that, but I'm sure there has to be a big side affect by chewing so much Ice, besides knocking the Enamel off of our teeth!...
SWEETICE

Postby gijimenez5 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:32 pm

I eat alot of ice all during the day and let me tell you I haven't gain any weight. Someone told me that because I eat so much ice I don't gain weight. Because I don't watch what I eat at all.
gijimenez5

Postby frozenO » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:41 pm

I let a 20 oz cup of ice sit on my desk, just to see how much water I was actually consuming.....20 oz of ice melts to roughly 10 oz of water...I've now graduated to 32 oz cups....the biggest we have at work....their ice machine ROCKS :lol:
frozenO

Postby SweetT72 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:09 am

I can't see how eating ice can make you gain weight, especially when some of us just eat ice all day. Ice really takes your appetite away.
SweetT72

Ice and weight gain

Postby Skitterboo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:44 pm

I have gained a LOT of weight since I've started eating ice constantly.

I actually eat very little becasue of my ice addiction (my therapist said it actually does present as an adiction now) and my metabolisim has shut down.

If I can eat every two to three hours I can loose the weight again, no matter what I eat...

BUT

I don't want to eat food, I can't taste it, I don't like the texture, I don't enjoy eating food, and would much rather grab a big ol glass of ice from the freezer than make someting to eat.
Even when I cook a meal for the family, I would rather have the ice.

I just don't eat unless I'm having some serious hunger pains or low blood sugar symptoms, and then it's just enough to take the edge off.

I've been looking in to finding some kind of herbal appetite stimulate to make me want to eat, but so far I'm not finding anything i can just take... its easier to grab the ice instead of brewing herbal tea. :roll:
Skitterboo

weight gain?

Postby bellie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 am

I actually lost 17 pounds chewing ice. I'm always so cold that my body
works harder to stay warm. And ____ I have the feeling I have eaten
something simply because I chewed a lot instead of just gulping and swallowing.(water)

What do you say to that? I'm jazzed about my new found fettish!?
bellie

Postby Rebelynn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 am

The reason some people gain weight is because ice will slow down the natural digestive process of your body and just as when you exercise, heat your body up, sweat etc....your body is doing the reverse with ice.
Rebelynn

Postby icelover420 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:57 pm

I was skimming through "natural weight cures 'they' dont want you to know about" and saw an article about eating cold food slows down your metablism and causes weight gain.

But of course if you substitute ice for food you'll lose weight (IMO), but your also losing out on key nutrients and vitamins!

Maybe you could add that tasteless fiber powder to your ice lol.
icelover420

Re: Ice makes you gain Weight>>>>>>>>>

Postby icecruncher2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Though I am not a health professional. A nurse told me a few days ago that ice chewing destroys brain cells. Anybody else hear this? Ever since we heard this my son and husband now beg me to stop eating ice. As if "ice" was "crack cocaine" or something. As far as weight gain goes, I would think that if the body temp is always cold due to constant ingestion of ice then the body's metobolic rate which burns calories might go down as well. I chewed for many years and my body temp went to constant 96 degrees. I also gained a lot of weight during that time. I almost had to eat no food, only ice to keep my weight stable. It went back to normal when I stopped crunching after I had my first child in 1998. The cravings just went away during my pregnancy and after I gave birth. All of a sudden 2 months ago, my craving have started again. Last year, I became a raw foodist, my diet is 90 percent raw foods; 10 percent cooked foods. I lost close to 40 pounds in just a few months, but two months ago my ice habit started again and my weight loss just stopped. I sit in the car with the heat on in my driveway and crunch and crunch. When my cup is gone I use the car heater to stabilize my body temp and them I go into the house..so I am not freezing. I hate that "freezing" feeling. Frankly, I would really like to quit, because the last time I was addicted to ice, I noticed that I was unable to digest food and when I ate anything my stomach wrenched in pain. I was told that my stomach was not producing stomach acid like it should and I was having great difficulty digesting my food. I felt like not eatin ever again, but to the contrary I had to let the ice go and did. But now in 2008, it is back! Though the ice feels ever so great in my mouth and then going down so wonderfully, til I can't wait to get the next cube in my mouth; this can not be good for the body. I am trying to have my last 2 cups today and I plan to quit. I'll let you know what happens. I want out of this addiciton, I have also chipped three teeth and cracked fillings. I have had one filling repaired and am scheduled for two more on the 25th. I am getting off this train. Iron supplements; dark green leafy vegetables, whatever it takes. Everything that feels good is not good for you. Listen to your inner voice; that's why we are all here at this site. It is great to swap stories, but we are all wondering is this good for me. Something is telling us within that this habit is not good. Maybe it is time to listen. I am listening today!!!
icecruncher2

Re: Ice makes you gain Weight>>>>>>>>>

Postby IceNurse » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 am

I was told by a doctor once that chewing ice slows down the intestinal peristalsis (the speed at which your food travels through your intestines)...which he said could cause weight gain. I'm sticking to that story>>>so I dont have to blame the chocolate :-)
IceNurse

Return to Medical Reasons