sore mouth

Possible medical based reasons for ice chewing.

sore mouth

Postby aireloom » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:13 am

Like everyone I love my ice. My problem is my tongue and insides of my mouth are so cut up. I can tell when my iron is low because my tongue gets sore. I can't eat anything that has spice. yet I keep chewing. My favorite is also the cloudy chushable ice. Any one else have the sore mouth. not just teeth? What do you do for it? Thanks
aireloom

sore tounge

Postby lubdatice » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:32 am

Yes, I too have the problem but it is just my tounge. Mainly at the end. It would be nice if someone knew what to do about this because I too have trouble eating spicey foods.
lubdatice

Postby ANTI-ICE » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:42 pm

If your nose offend thee, cut it off. If chewing ice is causing you probs, STOP!!!

Believe me, the rest of us would thank you for not having to listen to the sound. Jeesh!!
ANTI-ICE

Re: sore mouth

Postby iceaholic » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:25 am

aireloom wrote:Like everyone I love my ice. My problem is my tongue and insides of my mouth are so cut up. I can tell when my iron is low because my tongue gets sore. I can't eat anything that has spice. yet I keep chewing. My favorite is also the cloudy chushable ice. Any one else have the sore mouth. not just teeth? What do you do for it? Thanks
I have the same problem and can't eat. I just stop eating ice for a while till it goes away.Even though it hurts me i still chew my ice. That's my favorite, so i just CHEW.CHEW, AND CHEW.
iceaholic

Postby SweetT72 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:33 pm

aireloom wrote:Like everyone I love my ice. My problem is my tongue and insides of my mouth are so cut up. I can tell when my iron is low because my tongue gets sore. I can't eat anything that has spice. yet I keep chewing. My favorite is also the cloudy chushable ice. Any one else have the sore mouth. not just teeth? What do you do for it? Thanks

Trying just putting the ice on your tongue and letting it melt in your mouth. that's what I have to do.

stop chewing on the ice, it's bad for your teeth and it makes your teeth shift. that's what somebody told me.

When I suck on the ice I don't annoy anyone, try it and let me know what happens.. :D
SweetT72

Postby msjerrep » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:03 pm

I to have a sore mouth and teeth, and in the mornings when i wake up , my jaws hurt like heck,,,but I just seem to crave this ice, i have a glass full all day long,,,,,no one seems to know why I feel the need to do this.
msjerrep

sore mouth problems

Postby foxxfire3000 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:35 pm

I thought my tongue was sore from chewing ice also. It was getting so bad that I couldn't drink soda, eat spicy foods or brush my teeth with normal toothpaste! My mouth was VERY dry! I found out it wasn't from ice chewing at all THANK GOD!!! It's a YEAST infection in the mouth! YUCK! So if you have these signs/symptoms get it checked out and go ahead...chew away on that ice! :)
foxxfire3000

Personal belief by personal experience

Postby raya » Wed May 09, 2007 12:35 pm

I believe that your gums and tongue can get sore by chewing ice. Try taking a break and put bonjela or some sort of mouth sore medicine. Just be careful for the next time that you chew ice if you honestly can stop at all, like me. Try melting the ice a little before chewing it or better yet blend the ice to snow. If you don't mind sucking the ice until it melts well good for you, I love to actually chew the ice, its more satisfying and fun. :D
raya

ADDICTIONS

Postby raya » Wed May 09, 2007 12:40 pm

ANTI-ICE wrote:If your nose offend thee, cut it off. If chewing ice is causing you probs, STOP!!!

Believe me, the rest of us would thank you for not having to listen to the sound. Jeesh!!

Easy for you to say, you're anti ice but when something is an addiction its not easy to just stop. Don't you have any addictions?
raya

Ice chewing, sore tongue, anemia

Postby Judy W. » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm pretty much convinced that my experience with ice chewing had to do with anemia. If you tongue is sore, it may not be caused by chewing ice but by the anemia. The only cure I found for either problem was to get on iron supplements until problem is corrected or if that doesn't help have doctor look into it further as you may have a more serious anemia problem. It took quite awhile on supplements, but the cravings gradually wore off for me.

My experience - Chewed ice during the 3rd trimester of all 3 of my pregnancies. Never again until about 15 years later, the craving came on again with a vengance. After chewing for several months, developed a sore on my tongue. Occasional canker sores on tongue for me go away within 24 hours. This lasted a week, then a month, then another month. Then more sores forming all over the tongue. Felt like a thorn bush was growing inside my tongue, they were so painful. Saw three different doctors at the GP clinic I use. They kept refilling prescription for Valtrex, treating like herpes. Kept searching internet in the meanwhile looking for causes of this kind of tongue problem. Ran into something that linked anemia with sores that are caused by blood vessels or capillaries or something knotting up. This is exactly what these sores felt like. If you can imagine a rubber band all knotted up. When I would bite down on them it would relieve the pressure and pain. Now I had two bad habits, ice chewing and tongue biting. The last doctor I saw happened to take a blood test. Called me back within the week and said I was anemic. The only thing that cured my sore tongue and constant ice chewing was iron supplements. And this was afer many, many months of non-stop chewing.
Judy W.

Postby June » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:25 am

Judy: Did this make you stop completely or are you still chewing ice?
June

Postby Judy W. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:18 am

I still chew ice about once a day. I suppose after chewing for a year straight, I will always have a slight craving just for the pleasure, but I don't seek it out constantly the way I did when I was anemic.
Judy W.

Postby saifullah123 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Nice post.There is lot of problem in mouth.Everyone should take care of mouth.
saifullah123

Postby Michealleo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 am

For toung sore u should use some raw fresh menthole . that would be helpful for the sore and for controling the infection . It will really helped u . must try it . Best of luck
Michealleo

Postby JohannWolfgangvon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:41 am

Yes, I too have the problem but it is just my tounge.

Return to Medical Reasons