Other effects on the body

Why do you chew ice?

Other effects on the body

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:13 pm

I am an ice eater...it started about 3 months ago and now I go through about 5 bags a week at home and who knows how many cups at work each day. My question is: does chewing and eating so much ice each day have any effect on your throat, esphogas, stomach, etc. The cold can not be good for the tissues in these organs. I just wonder what damage we could be doing to our insides.

Any thoughts?

what ice chewing is doing to our insides

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:46 am

:idea:
i chew ice cubes just like you /iam trying not to do this anymore as i,ve just had new cavites filled with white fillings lisa in chatam ont.

Re: Other effects on the body

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:57 pm

Guest wrote:I am an ice eater...it started about 3 months ago and now I go through about 5 bags a week at home and who knows how many cups at work each day. My question is: does chewing and eating so much ice each day have any effect on your throat, esphogas, stomach, etc. The cold can not be good for the tissues in these organs. I just wonder what damage we could be doing to our insides.

Any thoughts?

effects of chewing

Postby koliver » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:06 pm

I have been chewing ice since I was pregnant 8 yrs ago. It gives you gas and is terrible for your teeth. It is so annoying to those around us too.Sometimes the craving is so bad, I almost panic if I can't get to it. The Dr said most of the time it is from lood iron anemia, which I have. So all you chewers, get your blood checked!
koliver

Postby HELPLESS ICE CHEWER » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:25 pm

I STARTED CHEWING ICE VORACIOUSLY AND OBSESSIVELY WITHIN THE LAST YEAR... MY TEETH ARE LITERALLY CRUMBLING AS A RESULT, BUT I STILL CAN'T STOP!!! :cry:
HELPLESS ICE CHEWER

i love crushed ice

Postby ice Goddess » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:14 pm

wow never knew that there were so many people who love ice ...i crave a certain type of ice ..it is soft and doesn't hurt my teeth as bad as the hard ice..but i love it all , will make special trip to certain store to get the biggest glass full of just ice...crazy uh! :roll: i do have very low iron so that could be the problem ...just do not know ..really need t kick the habit cause i love my teeth to ...never dreamed i would be in a ice chewing message board..lol..
ice Goddess

I LOVE ICE !!!

Postby JULY4THBABY » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:22 pm

I HAVE A TERRIBLE ADDICTION TO ICE, PEOPLE WOULD TELL ME, THAT EATING ICE WAS BAD FOR ME , I WOULDNT LISTEN , :( I THOUGHT "OH COME ON ITS FROZEN WATER", SO I KEPT EATING MY ICE, TURNS OUT I AM ANEMIC AND MY DIZZY SPELLS AND WEAKNESS AND TIRED ALL THE TIME PROVED THAT AND MY UNUSUAL ICE EATING HABIT, I FINNALLY WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND I HAVE A VERY VERY LOW IRON COUNT, I HAVE ANEMIA, AND NOW I HAVE TO TAKE I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. TO MAKE ME BETTER AND NOT TOO MENTION THE DENTAL BILLS! MY TEETH ARE WRECKED, I ALMOST SWOLLED A FILLING I THOUGHT WAS A PIECE OF ICE, IT WAS MY WHOLE FILLING THAT CAME OUT!! :cry: SO PLEASE ALL MY FELLOW ICE EATERS, PLEASE GET YOUR BLOOD CHECKED AND STOP EATING SO MUCH OF IT, AND YOUR TEETH WILL THANK YOU TOO :?
JULY4THBABY

Obesseiveice chewing

Postby wendyladycg » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:24 pm

Help, For the past three month I chew ice all the time. I know my blood count shows I have low blood counts, but the people in work say itis frustration. Can anyone help? :P
wendyladycg

Please help

Postby hooked_on_ice » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:07 am

Ice has literally become a part of my life. I started craving it with my first pregnancy 10 yrs ago. It slacked up for a little while then came back full force. After my second pregnancy 7 yrs ago, I've gained probably 120-140 lbs. At times I'll eat cups and cups of ice all day and realize by bedtime I haven't eaten any food all day. My habit has me cleaning out my ice maker before it can even make enough ice and trips to convenience stores to buy several bags of ice a week. It's like I have to have a steady supply. Before I wash clothes I need a cup of ice, when I sit at this computer I need 3 cups, when I leave the house, I fix a cup and it's like a cigarette...after a meal I eat several cups of ice and then I'm starving (probably why I've gained so much weight). Sometime around the time I started eating it so much, I developed back problems. They say it's a pinched nerve but it almost feels like it flares up when I'm halfway through a cup of ice but didn't notice it til recently. I've been anemic for years and had to have many teeth pulled from breaking or cracking them. You'd think I would learn from that, all I did was just make sure I spent more money on the better ice...I got it bad, but it makes me feel better to know that some people can sympathize with me and what I'm going through.
if someone can find a cure for this addiction, please notify me.
hooked_on_ice

Postby heathyrdoz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:05 am

I've been chewing ice off and on for several years. I had almost quit awhile ago and now it is worse than ever. I tried to give blood last week and they turned me away due to low iron. I have never had that happen before so I guess that explains why my ice craving has came back in full force. I know of people that have cracked teeth, but I have had no problem. I tend to let the ice melt a little before I chew it so maybe that is why I've been fine. I did swallow part of my tongue ring once thinking it was a piece of ice!! I tried to stop after that because I was seriously freaked out, but I just couldn't. :(
heathyrdoz

Re: I LOVE ICE !!!

Postby SweetT72 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:26 am

JULY4THBABY wrote:I HAVE A TERRIBLE ADDICTION TO ICE, PEOPLE WOULD TELL ME, THAT EATING ICE WAS BAD FOR ME , I WOULDNT LISTEN , :( I THOUGHT "OH COME ON ITS FROZEN WATER", SO I KEPT EATING MY ICE, TURNS OUT I AM ANEMIC AND MY DIZZY SPELLS AND WEAKNESS AND TIRED ALL THE TIME PROVED THAT AND MY UNUSUAL ICE EATING HABIT, I FINNALLY WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND I HAVE A VERY VERY LOW IRON COUNT, I HAVE ANEMIA, AND NOW I HAVE TO TAKE I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. TO MAKE ME BETTER AND NOT TOO MENTION THE DENTAL BILLS! MY TEETH ARE WRECKED, I ALMOST SWOLLED A FILLING I THOUGHT WAS A PIECE OF ICE, IT WAS MY WHOLE FILLING THAT CAME OUT!! :cry: SO PLEASE ALL MY FELLOW ICE EATERS, PLEASE GET YOUR BLOOD CHECKED AND STOP EATING SO MUCH OF IT, AND YOUR TEETH WILL THANK YOU TOO :?

July 4th baby, OH my God. I'm glad you didn't swolled it. and i know you should be sucking on the ice. just put it on you tongue and let it melt. it is the same affect. i'm doing that now. I HAVE STOP BITING ON ICE A LONG LONG TIME AGO, BECAUSE I MESSED UP MY TEETH TO.
SweetT72

Postby SweetT72 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:31 am

Guest wrote:I am an ice eater...it started about 3 months ago and now I go through about 5 bags a week at home and who knows how many cups at work each day. My question is: does chewing and eating so much ice each day have any effect on your throat, esphogas, stomach, etc. The cold can not be good for the tissues in these organs. I just wonder what damage we could be doing to our insides.

Any thoughts?

I wonder if about the same thing, Does anyone have any thoughts on this, please help us.
SweetT72

Postby mommafox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:09 pm

until the iron kicks in, invest in a good blender or a manual ice chopper/crusher. I have had an ice crusher since I 4. I have always loved ice. No anemia for me, just love it! But the crusher can save your teeth or at least help save some of your enamel!
mommafox

Postby mommafox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:11 pm

the cold won't hurt your insides! it warms up and melts pretty fast. So, unless you are suffering from hypothermia or eating sharp large pieces of ice that scrape your throat or gums, you should be ok.
mommafox

Postby murigo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 pm

There are times I feeling like the cold was damaging my oesaphagus but I corrected this by eating slowly. It doesn't affect my teeth. The thing with me is that I can actually control how much I eat. I make it just a few cubes in one day, spread thoughout. But I cannot stop eating. Furthermore eating ice feels good you wonder if you really want treatment. But I know anemia when it is severe can lead to heartfailure so iIwill seek treatment. Thanks guys

mommafox wrote:the cold won't hurt your insides! it warms up and melts pretty fast. So, unless you are suffering from hypothermia or eating sharp large pieces of ice that scrape your throat or gums, you should be ok.
murigo

Next

Return to Why?