PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BIG NEWS ON ICE!!!!

Why do you chew ice?

PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BIG NEWS ON ICE!!!!

Postby SOCCERxBABY3 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:55 pm

hey everyone!!! I'm 14 years old, and femal, and about a year ago, I was OBSESSED with ice. 5 cups a day, and I would sit by my heater because I would get so cold from chewing ice. I did think it was normal because I came across this website because I was trying to find ways to make good tasting ice. But then my Mom told me that she has low iron and is anemic, so I decided to go to the doctor to see why I chew ice. They took a blood test from me and get this, I HAD A HEMOGLOBIN LEVEL OF 5.5!!!!! WHEN IT SHOULD BE 12!! I was rushed to the hospital and got two blood transfusions, and now I have to take iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. and so much stuff...seriously, stop chewing ice and get yourself checked out. I have chipped teeth and too much water can kill ya. I just wanted everyone to know that it IS a sign of iron deficiency because my doctor even told me that. Hope this helps!!!! And do NOT wait to the last minute to get checked out..because if you do, then there might be a problem that gets worse.If i waited even longer, my hemoglobin level could have gone down lower, and I could have had a heart attack. My hemoglobin level is now 8.8, but it's still not normal. I just don't want anyone to go through what I did! thanks bye! :D
SOCCERxBABY3

Re: PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BIG NEWS ON ICE!!!!

Postby icecruncher2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks, especially this one and other posts have really help me to commit to the "quit" today.
icecruncher2

Postby kokomo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:09 pm

I had the same problem. My hemoglobin was in the 4's which is crazy low. I had the transfusions and now take shots that I give to myself. I want to make sure everyone understands that it is the anemia that causes you to crave the ice, not vice versa. Once your hemaglobin levels get better you will not longer crave the ice. I was soooo bad I would buy a 5lb bag of ice and keep it in my car in a cooler when I had a long drive. Now that I am better I can't stand anything cold in my mouth. No ice, ice cream etc.
kokomo

Postby christine17201 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:21 am

Hi, I too have been told this, and I got my iron checked, and it is fine. I don't think this is a problem for everyone, but I do think everyone should be checked for it. I'm just happy to know that I'm healthy and that chewing ice for me is a nervous fix, like some people chew a toothpick or whatever.
christine17201

Postby LegendaryPunk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 am

Iron deficiency has long been thought to be a reason for ice eating.

I myself only first heard about this theory three weeks ago, and it had me a little worried. A week afterwards though, I went to donate blood and the hemoglobin test done at that time came back with a result of 17.3 - which the nurse said was perfect because it puts me right at the peak of normal levels, but not at the point where I need to be concerned about having too much.

So, for all you ice crunchers out there who hear this theory, don't fret about it too much - you might be perfectly fine!
LegendaryPunk

Postby ICESINCE'01 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:06 pm

:roll: I KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN THRU, I HAVE BEEN MUNCHING ON ICE SINCE 2001 AND RECENTLY THIS PAST WEAK, I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL. AND FOR SURE IT THE ANEMIA THAT CAUSED ALL THIS. MY HEMOGLOBIN LEVEL WAS 5.6, NOW ITS 8.4 WHICH IS LOW STILL AFTER A BLOOD TRANSFUSION, I MEAN IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE. IM A 25YO FEMALE, AND IT HAPPENED TO ME. SO PLEASE QUIT!!!
ICESINCE'01

Postby Concerned lady » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:27 am

Very nice people on this site!

I have info about some causes of ice chewing/eating compulsions, in my website, on webpage 5 (in the gastric reflux sections, on webpage 5, at this link, http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com/page5.html). I copied & pasted part of this info, below:

Compulsive ice chewing/eating is called Pagophagia, and is one type of "pica" (compulsive eating of non-foods, or ice). As many here now know, pagophagia can be caused by an iron deficiency anemia, which can be caused by at least one or more of the following: poor diet, mal-absorption of iron (due to using acid blockers &/or having gluten sensitivity, etc.), internal bleeding, excessive bleeding during menstruation, etc., pregnancy, various medical conditions, worms, etc.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, most oats, etc. If a person is "sensitive" to gluten, then eating gluten can cause damage to the small intestine, and this can cause "mal-absorption" (not enough absorption) of iron, calcium, etc., in the small intestine. This can cause IRON DEFICIENCY ANEMIA. See above, for other causes of anemia.

One type of gluten sensitivity is called CELIAC DISEASE. However, recently it has been found that most gluten-sensitive people have non-Celiac types of gluten sensitivity, but still can have intestinal damage ("sub-microscopic" damage, not able to be seen, even under a microscope, when looking at a biopsy sample).

Read about "EnteroLab" non-invasive stool testing, that helps people find out if they have a gluten sensitivity or not. See Dr. Kenneth Fine's (gastro doc) website, at www.finerhealth.com

Some people have a "sensitivity" to milk proteins, and when these people eat milk proteins (in milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), they too can have damage done to their small intestine from an "auto-immune" attack on their own small intestine, resulting in "mal-absorption", leading to iron deficiency anemia, leading to pagophagia (compulsion to eat/chew ice).

"EnteroLab" does non-invasive stool sample testing for possible milk protein sensitivity, too (can be done on same sample that's being tested for gluten sensitivity).

Pagophagia may also sometimes be related to eating disorders (like anorexia or bulimia, etc.) &/or related to OCD (obsessive compulsive disorders).

Some OCD can be caused as a result of STREP (streptococcus) infections, where an "auto immune reaction" to the strep bacteria, causes an auto-immune attack (including swelling) on a certain section of the brain ("basal ganglia"), causing obsessive compulsive problems, sometimes including ice chewing/eating. This type of OCD is called PANDAS. PANDAS stands for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections.

One treatment for PANDAS, may be IVIG (Intra-Venous Immune Globulin), which has helped some obsessive compulsive people, whose OCD was caused by reactions to strep bacteria.

Teeth can crack &/or voice problems in singers may result from this ice chewing/eating habit. Some foods are naturally rich in iron. Eating such foods, if iron deficient anemic, can prevent constipation and stomach problems that some iron supplements cause. Please see gastric reflux tips, on webpage 10 of my website. See http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com/page10.html

For those who would like to try eating gluten-free, but feel like they must have "pasta", there's some good news: A Canadian company makes delicious brown rice pastas of every type, that tastes just like glutenous wheat pasta, but are gluten-free (rice is gluten-free). The brand name of these gluten-free pastas, is "Tinkyada", and it's found in good health food stores, and even in some supermarkets now.

I have some "tips" on eating gluten-free (and not feeling deprived), with links to other helpful websites where people have been there, done that (eating gluten-free). See Appendix E (gluten-free tips) on webpage 10 of my website, at this link:
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com/page10.hmtl

I hope this helps some, who would like to conquer their ice eating/chewing, habit/addiction/compulsion, called pagophagia.

Carol/concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Concerned lady

Re: PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BIG NEWS ON ICE

Postby missmarilyn1971 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh Boo Hoo ! shuttie. There is like nobody on this site that I can see! Why do we as a culture have to "QUIT" everything we take pleasure in? Why? What is the danger in Ice???
missmarilyn1971

Postby Concerned lady » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 am

Dear Miss Marilyn,

Nobody is saying that everyone "has to" quit eating ice.

What people ARE saying, is that if someone WANTS to quit eating ice, that this can be done.

People are saying that being very anemic, for example, can cause the feeling of needing to eat ice.

In other cases, and for various reasons, some people have a "compulsion" to eat ice.

Read through everyone's comments, because it sounds like you may be misinterpreting what others are saying.

Good luck to all, who WANT to regain control over what they eat.

Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Concerned lady

Postby ashleyco » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 pm

I too have been told this, and I got my iron checked, and it is fine.
ashleyco

Postby janemcready » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:09 am

I had the same issue with low hemoglobin levels and had the same tendency you had to chew ice for a long time. But with the advice of doctor I managed to take iron tablets properly and now the hemoglobin level is back to 12, the normal one. That makes me so relaxed.

Return to Why?