tortured by an ice cruncher...

Why do you chew ice?

tortured by an ice cruncher...

Postby CrunchHater » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:07 am

Hello happy ice chewers. I wish we could all enjoy your chilly addiction. I have been married for 13 years...very happily I might add. But in the past several years my spouse has transformed into a non-stop ice cruncher. I am tortured to the point of tears. It is a constant grind that tortures every atom of my being. As I type, I can hear it in the complete opposite end of the house- there is no escape. Now, I am having physical manifestations= chest pains. If I am in a good mood, it completely sails out the window when I hear "it". Am I insane? Probably. The sound waves from the grinding ice have obviously damaged my brain cells. Now, for an attempt at being proactive, kind, and positive: how do your significant others cope with your crunching?? I mean, obviously, we love you in spite of your condition. Seriously, how do you coexist happily in such a chomp-chomp, crunch-crunch environment. All sarcasm aside, I'd love to know.
CrunchHater

Postby WHYNOTSALOT » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:38 am

CrunchHater I can feel your pain ...it seems I am a bit of a hippocrite though as I am addicted to the crunch/coolness/melty feeling but to hear another crunching ice sends this anger through me that makes me want to kill someone! :x My sister and I used to fight fiercly over her ice munching, and now my poor husband has to endure mine. :oops:
He tells me it does not bother him, but I can't imagine that it really doesn't get to him on some level! I try to curb the desire, or just indulge while at work (my desk is away from others and our ice is very soft so I know I am not a bother there). I have also started taking an iron supplement to see if that will help diminish the annoying habit ...I am always borderline anemic and since the chewing has just recently gotten "out of control" I am hoping this will help.
...On behalf of the conscientious chewers, I do apologize! (in the meantime, try earplugs when you are in another room just to get a little break once in a while)
WHYNOTSALOT

Do you have any idea how annoying and rude ice chewing is?

Postby katgal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:14 pm

I work with two ice chewers who chomp constantly during meetings. It is one thing to do it in the privacy of your home, but it is a very loud sound that travels. I just don't understand how ice chewers don't realize how RUDE and annoying their habit is to everyone around them.
katgal

Postby lost » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:46 pm

I printed a copy of this thread and left it on the printer. The ice chewer either didn't see it or didn't care. My office mates showed compasion, but I moved anyway (new position). I stoped by my old work area and sure enough, the ice chewer was going at it. Thankfully, I don't work there anymore.
lost

Postby VeronicaLodge » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:57 pm

I hate to break it to you, but it will be harder for the person to stop chewing ice than it is for you to "build a bridge and get over it!"

Haha :lol:
VeronicaLodge

Postby pagetwo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:45 pm

:roll:

Hey there crunchhater, I feel your pain, I am a fellow ice chewer and love love love it!!! my husband on the other hand is like you, hates it with a passion (which I understand completely) this is an addiction, as terrible as it sounds when my husband is complaining of my chomping, it doesnt really register, I just need that crunch. Its insane for sure. I've recently tried taking iron supplements to curb some of the crunch, but the results are inconclusive. Hang in there!
pagetwo

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:58 am

Got a couple of questions for those who hate the sound of crunching ice.....
What is the real difference between someone crunching ice and crunching on Peanut Brittle, Potato Chips, or Popcorn...?
:roll:
Can't help but wonder if those who complain have some control issues as there are a lot worse addictions than Ice chewing.....So, why not join us in our ice chewing so you can experience 1st hand why those of us who chew ice love it so~o~o~o much!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's 8) in more ways than one!! :lol:
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

Re: tortured by an ice cruncher...

Postby esilovesice » Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm

@katgal, you would think that common courtesy would prevail and prevent your co-workers from chewing ice during a meeting, but it just doesn't work that way. The urge to crunch ice is so powerful that even when an ice chewer is fully aware of the fact that the crunching is annoying to those nearby, that awareness does nothing to quell the craving.
esilovesice

Return to Why?