Anemia

Why do you chew ice?

Anemia

Postby carolinagirl27 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:59 pm

I had no idea until just a couple of days ago that eating ice is a side affect of being anemic. I don't understand why people are so upset about eating ice like it is some kind of disease or something! I have read on this forum that some people think that eating ice is the REASON you are anemic. That is just a load of crap! I am a Phlebotomist, so I know a thing or two about blood. (Sounds morbid huh?!) Eating ice is just a SIDE AFFECT of being anemic. There is no way that eating ice, which it H2O, just in a solid state is bad for you. I LOVE eating ice! Your body is made up of 70% H2O anyway, so why not get more water in your body? I have heard of people chipping teeth on ice, but I have been eating ice for over 3 years now, and I have yet to chip a tooth. I just don't think it is possible! I just wanted to state my opinion in hopes that someone reads it and may agree :!:
carolinagirl27

Postby Timus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:25 pm

Yes but I suspect a diet of ice would cause people to neglect their iron intake, not to mention people who seem to start eating ice and stop eating meat. And I'm pretty sure most liquids besides milk actually prevent the absorption of Iron by the liver (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've seen a lot of 'I chew ice because I'm Anemic' but still haven't figured out how they are in correalation with each other. Perhaps as a phlebotomist you could explain this to me?

Thanks.
Timus

Postby BigLZAondaMic » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:21 pm

I wish I could say the same for me....I've chipped three teeth...slightly tho..no big deal...I just learned that I have to eat it after it gets a little melted.
BigLZAondaMic

Re: Anemia

Postby rebello458 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Eating ice isnt the REASON people are anemic it is a side affect and its the truth. I was diagnosed with anemia in the hospital when I had my daughter and I was told to take my iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us.. I never took my I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. and my addiction to ice got worse. Ive never broken a tooth eating ice and ive been crunching for close to a year now. ... Of course not everyone that chews is going to be anemic but im sure most of them are.
rebello458

Re: Anemia

Postby LusciousDC » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:30 pm

I have been chewing ice for at least 25 years. It started when I was pregnant with my first child. I want to know why ice chewing is a side affect of anemia. What is it in the ice that we crave being that we are all low on iron? That's the weird part for me.
Last edited by LusciousDC on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LusciousDC

Return to Why?