When did you start chewing ice?

What makes the Best Ice?

When did you start chewing ice?

Postby MissPookette » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm

The first memory I have of noticing myself craving ice is about two years ago. I remember going grocery shopping and consistently thinking to myself "I want a large glass of water with lots of clear ice, and a slice of lemon". This went on for like a month or two, then I quit buying the lemon and quit drinking the water. I would just take the water, freeze all of it. I've broken two molars because I was chewing so violently, and I just can't stop. That same time when I would stop at gas stations for a drink I would just ask for giant cups of ice, and basically I would substitute most of my drinking and sometimes my eating with ice. The obsession grew out of control when I discovered that at my work, there were TWO ice machines, making slushy hospital ice. I am so addicted to the cool, jagged feeling of crushed ice going down my throat, clumps of it gathering in the corners of my mouth. Ever since then, I have gone from loving machine ice to store bought and back to just prefering to perfect the texture of the ice by making it myself with water I buy. Please share your story.
MissPookette

Welcome to our world

Postby Rambling » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:28 pm

I absolutely relate, except that I still prefer the ice machine one.
I could chew Alaska
Rambling

Re: When did you start chewing ice?

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:12 pm

I started chewing ice when I was around 11 years old circa 1960's! It started when I discovered how yummy freezer frost tasts! :drool: It tastes just like snow....and/or crushed ice which I adore folks!!! Yum yummy double yum!!!!! :D :D :D Of course this was all before they made auto defrost refrigerators and freezers! :evil: :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

Postby virgoandrea80 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:06 pm

its weird because i always refused to have ice in my drink. it was a pet peeve to have it there. and then about a year ago i started loving ice.. and then the obsession grew and grew.
virgoandrea80

Postby Ice Idol » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:03 am

Hello fellow ice chewers,in my country it is winter right now but for me the ice chewing will never stop. I started ice chewing in 2001, it was weird really. I took a plastic tub and I placed it in the freezer for a couple of hours it was ice with lots of water inside, I took a knife cracked it and :drool: it was heaven that's how I started chewing ice, I dont know a lot of people who have this cool behaviour, but my favourite way of eating ice is when I take plastic water bottles fill them half full with water and then let it freeze and when it is completely frozen I start banging it on the sides of my table, (I only do this when I am alone though :lol: ) I bang the Ice until it's fluffy and white the taste is amazing the texture very soft not bad for my teeth and for my taste buds heaven. Ok I am drooling let me go get my fix at my work's freezer with the small ice cubes. Check you later!!!!!
Ice Idol

Postby CosmicBrown » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:25 pm

I think I have been eating ice since i was about 7 or 8 years old. I am 30 now. I used to scrape the freezers then i moved up to the ice trays. From there I started making the ice real thin in the ice trays. Now i am on deep freezers, cookie company, and Sonic Ice. if the ice is not white I wont eat it. I even have the times down to a T when all the Sonic's in Chattanooga and even the one in Marietta GA. ice machine is putting out the GOOD ice.
CosmicBrown

Postby nikki8541 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm

I have been chewing ice for as long as I can remember. As a kid when all the other kids were having kool-aid I was having cups of ice! I am going to be 39 in June. One of my sisters also loves ice. My neice also loves to chew ice. I am from a very large family I have 8 younger siblings and tons of neices and nephews. We are the only three ice chewers in the family.

A few years ago my dentist told me that chewing ice cubes was equivalent to chewing on rocks - YIKES! So I now own several ice shavers - so I can have my ice and chew it too! I got one for my neice and my sister got one for herself.

I live in New England and eat ice year round - cold weather or not! I eat several large glasses a day. I use Poland Spring bottled water to make the molds for my ice. The bottles are 1PT. 0.9 FL OZ in size. At the end of the day I have had 8 bottles of water frozen into ice.
nikki8541

Postby Tone » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:25 pm

:drool: I have been an Ice chewer since childhood. I can't remember NOT partaking.
I have a family history of ice-o-phillia :)
My grandma was, my mom is and me and my adult niece are all ice lovers.
Tone

Postby iceloverone » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Sigh. I started chewing when I was 12. I even remember the day. I was watching a movie and the people were walking through snow and I thought "Wow, that snow looks so good." Then I went to the freezer and got some ice. It's been a wrap every since then. Over half of my life :P
iceloverone

Postby tynlynne » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:01 pm

My first memory is from back when refrigerator freezers were not frost-free. My father used to get a giant spoon and scrape the ice from the "ceiling" of the freezer! It would have a consistency like snow. And every now and then, my father would give a spoonful to me and my sister! When I was older and had my own apartment with fridge that wasn't frost free, I'd "accidentally" leave the freezer door just slightly open so that more ice would accumulate in the freezer. (My mouth is drooling now at the thought of it!) :lol:

Writing this crazy stuff makes me think there could be a show on TV similar to "Intervention" or something, showing the lengths that people like us go through to get good ice!!
tynlynne

Postby jonothon77 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 pm

hadn't thought of this in 50 years, but yes, my mother used to periodically defrost the freezer part of our fridge and i would eat a bunch of the the frost chunks. she would catch them in a pan and i remember taking the pan of slushy freezer chunks and eating them like popsicles. if it had been a long time since defrosting, they might have a bit of a funky taste. somehow doesn't sound too healthy now, but to this day i love eating crushed (or any kind) of ice.
jonothon77

Postby Leseil » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:00 pm

About a year and a half ago.
Leseil

Postby freshmelon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:51 am

Oh I actually born with ice cubes in my mouth. :mrgreen:
freshmelon

Postby shine789 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:30 am

When I was a kid probably. I always chewed ice before I drank my juice.
shine789

Postby king990 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:05 am

When I quit smoking :P
king990

Next

Return to Recipes