white ice

What makes the Best Ice?

white ice

Postby gimmeice » Sun May 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Does any one know how to make white ice at home?
gimmeice

Postby brizee77 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:05 am

Several things have to add up to make the perfect white ice at home but I have it down pat. First a deep freezer helps. I have one dedicated to my ice at home and it cost just over $100.00 Much cheaper than an ice maker. I also buy metal ice trays, the old fashioned kind mostly from ebay. The ones with the small slices are the best. Then I add water by layers and not all at one time. You have to use tap water because bottled water freezes clear. Tap water with a slight chlorine content works best. This Ice comes out solid white and soft with a perfect taste every time. The only problem is finding the right water sorce. I have about $160 into my freezer and ice trays so it is not that expensive. But if you want to go the easy and expensive way a GE Profile Refridge with a water softner system in the home works perfect if you keep it on quick ice. Solid white cubes that can be easily crushed. But you are looking at over $2000.00. I have experimented a lot and these are the only ways I have found. If anyone else knows a way I am open to suggestions. I am talking about solid white and very soft ice. Not just white in the center.
brizee77

Postby eiswürfel » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:35 pm

(first of all : sorry for follwing mistakes, english isn't my mothertounge, I'm from Germany)

Okay, on topic- to get excellent, crispy, chewable white ice, which I also like best, try this:

I always freeze sparkling(!) springwater in a metal cooking pot, the freezer has to be very cold.
I usually take 1 to 1,5 litres of sparklingwater for one cookingpot and it takes ca. 5 hours to become excellent, easy- chewable ice (of course you have to make little icepieces out of the big iceblock before you can enjoy..mmmhh) .

bon appetit!
:wink:
eiswürfel

Re: white ice

Postby nzirbaloch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:25 am

nzirbaloch

Return to Recipes