favorite Ice

What makes the Best Ice?

MY WIERD CRAVING

Postby SYA » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:17 am

Anonymous wrote:
ADDICTED2ICE wrote:SO DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE IF ICE CHEWING IS RELATED TO BEING ANEMIC. THAT WOULD MAKE PERFECT SENCE IN MY CASE. i ALSO LOVE EATING BAKING POWDER. EVERYONE THINKS IT'S GROSS BUT I LOVE IT. i EVEN KEEP ONE CAN @ MY WORK DESK. :roll:

I TOO EAT ICE, AND YEAS IT'S DUE TO ANEMIA, BUT I EAT CORNSTARCH, ABOUT 2 OR 3 BOXES PER WEEK. SO YOUR BAKING SODA DOESN'T MAKE YOU WEIRD.
SYA

Love it long time

Postby Ice Angel » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:14 pm

I love Ice so much. The local Hospital around here has this certain kind of ice that they give their patients. It's little perfectly round balls, like a grayish white (not clear) and they are already soft. As soon as you put them in you mouth they just break into even more little pieces, you don't even have to bite the ice it breaks up in your mouth. My boyfriend is an X-Ray tech and I make him bring me home a big cup every night. When I am at work I just get in out of the Ice machine and when I am home I have an Ice tray that I baught from Wal-Mart that makes little round pieces of ice (about 4 times smaller than your normal ice cube tray)

I eat about 1 cup every 2 hours just while I'm at work and when I get home the rest is history. I can not stop and I don't know why. What is wrong with me? I know that it's bad for my teeth and now my 6-year old daughter is picking up my habbit. I even dream about it sometime and will have to wake up and go get a cup of ice. I know that I irritate my boy friend and he tells me to go see a doctor because it is not normal and that my body is lacking some kind of nutriction.

I am an anemic and I do bleed very heavily on my monthlys. HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!
Ice Angel

Re: Love it long time

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:20 pm

Ice Angel wrote:I love Ice so much. The local Hospital around here has this certain kind of ice that they give their patients. It's little perfectly round balls, like a grayish white (not clear) and they are already soft. As soon as you put them in you mouth they just break into even more little pieces, you don't even have to bite the ice it breaks up in your mouth. My boyfriend is an X-Ray tech and I make him bring me home a big cup every night. When I am at work I just get in out of the Ice machine and when I am home I have an Ice tray that I baught from Wal-Mart that makes little round pieces of ice (about 4 times smaller than your normal ice cube tray)

I eat about 1 cup every 2 hours just while I'm at work and when I get home the rest is history. I can not stop and I don't know why. What is wrong with me? I know that it's bad for my teeth and now my 6-year old daughter is picking up my habbit. I even dream about it sometime and will have to wake up and go get a cup of ice. I know that I irritate my boy friend and he tells me to go see a doctor because it is not normal and that my body is lacking some kind of nutriction.

I am an anemic and I do bleed very heavily on my monthlys. HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

Have any one ever had the Spring Water Ice that already made in the bag. You can get it from ACME.

SPRING WATER ICE CUBES

Postby GueraReal » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:43 pm

This is my first time to this site and I am really happy to have found it. Now if I can only find a husband who eats ice (and speaks spanish). :oops: Anyway, I am a bottled spring water drinker. I have began to use spring water to make my ice cubes and it tastes deliciously pure. If you use tap water to make your ice, try it with spring water once.
GueraReal
GueraReal

little tubes

Postby trilyro » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:25 am

dosnt any one like the little tubes of ice... ya know the ones that cone out of big commercial ice makers.... they are the best. it cruches just right
trilyro

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:
ADDICTED2ICE wrote:SO DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE IF ICE CHEWING IS RELATED TO BEING ANEMIC. THAT WOULD MAKE PERFECT SENCE IN MY CASE. i ALSO LOVE EATING BAKING POWDER. EVERYONE THINKS IT'S GROSS BUT I LOVE IT. i EVEN KEEP ONE CAN @ MY WORK DESK. :roll:

That is not healthy at all. Not that ice eating and cornstarch eating is. But seriously the aluminum zly in baking powder is not healthy. Its a carcinogenic in large proportions its toxic to the body if eaten out of its regular use i suggest you get addicted to cornstarch much healthier and natural. And yes PICA - ICE CRAVINGS (pagophagia) is related to anemia.

Postby cube-x » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:28 pm

as i am sure most of you know, ice chewing is a pica, or a compulsion to eat non-foods, but to tell the truth a mostly harmless one. But baking power is a rather unhealthy pica. But cornstarch is not that great either. At least ice is chemically neutral for our bodies. Most of us should consider getting help for our picas, but some need it. Decide for yourself which you are.
Personally i am a third category. I can stop any time. Really i can.

Back on topic, i love cylinder ice, it is not so rough on the teeth. :wink:
cube-x

icerino

Postby ali_cat » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:28 am

yes, ice is related to anemia. i do not know the exact process but they mention it in my college book. its called Pagophagia, so anyways i just try to eat a lot of meant and greens. im just trying to find out if it will be bad for my teeth after 30 years. everyone bugs me about it.. :(
ali_cat

Postby rchiles » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:20 am

It was amazing reading the posts, every time we would go through a drive thru, I always say extra extra extra ice, more ice than soda, I'm always being yelled at that I was wasting money. I am anemic, I eat baking powder and corn starch and sometimes with flour. I keep baking powder by my bed. While watching a movie, I have my can and a spoon.
rchiles

deficiency

Postby rchiles » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:42 am

Anemia is defined as a decreased level of hemoglobin more than 2 standard deviations below the expected mean for age and sex. In quickly assessing anemia, the presence or absence of symptoms should be determined. Patients with slowly developing anemias will often be completely compensated and have few if any symptoms. Conversely, patients with rapidly developing anemias (i.e., from bleeding, hemolysis) may present with hypotension, tachycardia, weakness, and fatigue. Sometimes the signs and symptoms will point to the diagnosis (pagophagia-ice craving-and iron deficiency; melena-GI bleeding; glossitis and loss of proprioception in B12 deficiency
rchiles

Postby Chucky » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:47 am

Q:Why do so many people eat ice?

A: I suppose the obvious answer would be because they like to, but there is a real medical connection. In some medical conditions people develop appetites for odd or bizarre substances. This is called pica and it is common in people with iron deficiency. Patients often develop a craving for ice; this is called pagophagia. Other common cravings associated with iron deficiency are clay (geophagia) and starch (amylophagia). Once the iron deficiency is corrected by replacing lost iron these cravings diminish and even go away.
Chucky

reason for the habit

Postby ice ice mama » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:14 pm

I have an idea that may explain some of our need for excessive ice crunching. It's a disorder (actually a set of characteristics) called sensory defensiveness. What happens is your nervous system becomes overloaded from stress from sensory input around you (noises, smells, etc.) or just plain stress and then your nervous system craves a way to calm you. It is similar to swaddling a colicy baby who is over-stressed (crying) and even to then giving that baby a bottle/nursing him. Oral-motor movement especially with deep pressure like crunching (also chewing, biting, grinding teeth, or sucking with pressure like thru a narrow straw or bottle nipple) gives great input that is calming to our nervous systems. Is this bad? Not necessarily, but I'd venture to say that the teeth of ice crunchers are not usually the best after years of the habit. So what can you do it you want to stop? Try some substitute things (sort of like smokers use gum chewing to stop) like chewing foods like beef jerky, gum, skittles, eating crunchy things like carrots or chips, or drinking through a straw. The most powerful oral-sensory input can be received if the foods are sour (like sour skittles or lemons) or minty (like Big Red gum or altoids), so keep that in mind. The other idea is to meet the need through a whole-body deep pressure technique (again like the infant swaddling) such as by wrapping up really tightly in a soft blanket, jumping for several minutes, etc. Hope this is informative.
ice ice mama

ice

Postby crazy for ice! » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:10 pm

I'm SO excited I found other ice lovers out there. And to add to the many comments on this: the foggy ones are far the best! Burger King has good ice too. Ever since I was pregnant and had my son my ice cravings have only increased. It drives my family nutts and they just don't get it. It actually calms me and makes me feel better and not as stressed! I start to get anxious and mad when i can't chew my ice! Thanks-cravers!
Shannon[quote][/quote]
crazy for ice!

I LOVE ICE!!!!!

Postby Dreamsjv » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:01 am

My favorite ice is the one from the mini fridge. MMMMM it's so good. I also crave snow . When it comes to ice the foggier the better!!!!!! :)
Dreamsjv

The best places for ice

Postby icequeen81 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Cosi!!!!!!!!!! They have soft chewable cylinder ice thats about the size of your pinky. Its so easy to chew and JUST soft enough.

I love ice that is from a snow cone - i can chew on that every day

Yeah I think I annoy the people around my cube with the ice chewing
icequeen81

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes