ice crunchies

Share your ice chewing stories.

ice crunchies

Postby crunchy ice » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:19 am

:) I love and need to eat ice so much so that I bought a separate freezer just so I can fill it up with all kinds of ice. I actually have preferences about the type of ice, not all ice is the same... I really can't explain why. I am relieved to know that there are others. I would like to chat with another ice cruncher.
crunchy ice

Re: ice crunchies

Postby MeganMayhem » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Wow, thats pretty extreme.
My freezer doesn't make ice fast enough so I have a few trays in there now.
And there is diffrent types of ice.
Some with water still in it.
Some with air pockets.
Some that have chewy layers...
The list goes on.... :drool:
Love, MeganMayhem
MeganMayhem

Postby hoosiercube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Just discovered this group while searching the web.

I have been crunching ice for well over 5 years. I leave for work every morning with a large (40+ oz.) insulated cup filled to the top with ice. In the winter (when it will stay cold sitting in my car) I bring an extra plastic cup full that sits in my car in case I run out and need more! We have 2 trays at work, I try to just stick to my own, but sometimes (particularly in the summer) I grab a cupfull before I leave for my (10 minute) drive home. I onyl work 5 hours a day - I hate to think of how much I would have to drag to work if I worked a regular 8 hour workday!

Although I know what "Sonic Ice" is, it isn't my favorite. I don't live where we have any Sonic Drive-Ins right now, so I guess that is a very good thing. We have BPs and some other convenience stores that sell ice that are similar to the soft-sonic type only they are much larger - I do like these! As I rule I prefer the ice at home (1/2 moon shaped) the most. It is best if it sits for 5-10 minutes and gets soft. I HATE the saucer shaped, clear kind. They are too hard, never soften up and sometimes taste funny. Yuck! I will avoid restaurants and convenience stores that have this kind of ice. It is so disappointing to go through a drive-thru and and end up with this lousy ice. I am always happy with the squares that are hollow on the inside. Wow - so much talk about different kinds of ice!

My sister is 8 years older than I am and was just as ice-addicted until she was through menapause, now she has no interest in it at all! I can't imagine! I am not quite to that point yet (I am 51) but it would probably make my family REALLY happy if I would quit. The crunching drives my husband and 2 of my 3 children crazy. If we are in the car they turn the radio up - if we are watching TV at night I have a specific place where I sit where they can't her me, but it doesn't stop the griping!

I don't know how many times we have all been ready to leave and go somewhere and I would say "Hang On" and run into the house to pack a cup of ice for the trip. I can't drive unless I am eating ice. Of course I have to take it easy on long roadtrips (unless I am alone, of course!) because no one takes pity on me when I have to use the bathroom (about every hour) and I have been tortured many times with a missed potty-stop!

One last thing. My boss keeps our office SO COLD in the winter, but I dare not complain. YOu really can't sit there with a barrel of ice, chewing away, and say "Hey, It's cold in here! Turn up the heat!"

My other two obsessions are sunflower seeds and Atomic Fireball cinnamon jawbreakers. Crazy stuff?

I know that I am anemic - I have tried taking iron but it really hasn't had a big effect. It also bothers my stomach - and of course, I would miss my ice if I didn't crave it!

Well - thanks for listening. I know exactly where you are coming from!!
hoosiercube

Postby stripedpolkadots » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:28 am

oh man, thats exactly what i do with my 1/2 moon ice.
i put it in a big cup, then sit there and stare at it until its nice and soft.

then, while im going at that one, i have another cup of ice getting soft.

it drives my family c.r.a.z.y when they come into a room and see me watching tv or reading with a big gulp of ice in front of me, and two 40 ounces getting prepared.

*sigh* :roll: they just dont understand.

:)
stripedpolkadots

Return to Stories