Is anyone a compulsive ice chewer as I am?

Share your ice chewing stories.

Is anyone a compulsive ice chewer as I am?

Postby g1ee12084 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 am

I mean, that's what I'm known for. Anyone who knows me well enough knows me because of it. I even have waitresses recognize me. They instantly bring me an extra cup of ice when I walk in...I could just keep going at the ice if no one stopped me, or if I never ran out. I love Sonic's ice!!! My friends give me nicknames like icee, freeza...or just 'the ice girl.'
After much google-research, I found out it was an actual disorder! A sympton of iron-deficient anemia.
I've been diagnosed with severe anemia when I was in my teens and it was due to extremely heavy menstrual amounts. My hemoglobin count was 6. But that all got fixed when I went on a strict raw-food diet which restored my whole system. Well, not entirely because I still can't donate blood but I definitely don't have really bad head rushes anymore. It was remarkable how the amounts of my menstration decreased. But why do I still crave ice oh so obsessively? It's totally messing up my digestive system...I just can't seem to stop! Ice just looks so damn delicious!!!! :drool:
Now, I've become a bit of an expert on ice. Like how it reacts differently to water, soda, alcohol...and what not..
I like to fill my glass with ice and just dash it with a bit of soda...That way, it melts a just right which is easier to chew..also you get the flavor of the soda!...I'm crazy....I know....
g1ee12084

Re: Is anyone a compulsive ice chewer as I am?

Postby iceplease! » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:36 pm

OMG!! I came across this website while trying to prove to my boyfriend that chewing ice is a sign of an iron deficiency. I CANNOT believe there are soooo many people out there with this crazy "pica" addition! I literally thought i was nuts! I chew ice like no other. My ice automatic ice maker in the freezer runs out all of the time and i find myself searching the freezer for any cubes that may have escaped. haha. I have perfected my perfect ice though and i HAVE TO have it with me at ALL times. When i go to the store, even for a minute i bring a cup full. My perfect ice is in my tin coffee mug. It has to be crushed out of the freezer and filled to the top. Then add a little water just so all the hard stuff melts off the ice leaving only the PERFECT white part. YUMMMMMMM!! Sometimes if i dont have it i will start thinking about it and kinda go in a panic til i get it. It is like someone thats addicted to crack or something. Alright well i am probably sounding crazy but I am soo happy i am not alone! Oh and like many people on here i am extremely anemic and have been for my whole life. Since i have been pregnant they gave me iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. but it hasnt stopped my problem one bit!
iceplease!

Postby icygirl55 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Well you're definately not alone. I take my ice everywhere...to the store, to work, anywhere I go. I HATE it when I go away for a few days, and have trouble finding the right kind! I have become addicted to shaved ice, shaved so fine that it's literally like snow. It's fabulous..."melt-in-your-mouth" (no pun intended)!!! I take insulated mug-fulls everywhere! If I don't have shaved ice, I'll settle for the regular stuff, but it's not nearly as delightful! I have never been diagnosed with anemia. I just love ice! I'm always trying to watch my weight, and I find it really helps me with that, also.
icygirl55

Postby esqwife01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 am

Oh my god this board is so funny. I though I was the only one that was addicted to chewing ice. It started when I was about 5 months pregnant and here I am 5 yrs later and I still can't stop. The best is when I fill my cup all the way to the top with crushed ice add some water and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, so by the time I am ready the ice is soft enough to chew and then there are times I just can't wait.
esqwife01

Postby ICELOVER444 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:43 pm

[b]I have been chewing ice for years now. I had read somewhere a long time ago that it was a sign of anemia, but I was too embarassed to ask my doctor, until one day I mentioned to my obgyn, and he said oh yeah, I have heard of that before, and suggested I go to my regular doc for bloodwork, so I did. When the results came back I had to go into his office, and he was very serious and talked about a blood transfusion, I promised I would take supplements to get it back up, which I did, but over the years it's been a roller coaster of different supplements, since they cause constipation, so right now I'm trying one that is suppose to absorb in the small intestine, I really don't want a blood transfusion!
ICELOVER444

Postby iceconnoisseurAZ » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:32 pm

For anyone that doesn't know, and loves Sonic Ice.......
They sell 10lb bags of ice at Sonic so you can enjoy the simple goodness at home!! GO SONIC!
iceconnoisseurAZ

Postby stripedpolkadots » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:56 am

oh god.
its time for me to go to sonic.

i COMPLETELY didnt know they SOLD their ice!!!
aaaghhhhh!!!
this is great!!

im really happy now.

and yes!
no one ever gets it when i say im melting the hard part off the ice!
nobody!

im not alone!
yupyup. :)

now im off to sonic.

well... in the morning.
stripedpolkadots

Postby cleenice » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:56 pm

I have eaten ice every day for as long as I can remember when I was twelve years old I ate so much ice I had giant hives all over my body the doctors could only come to this conclusion after my grandmother showed them a farmers almanac that reported this condition from too much ingestion of ice the banned me from ice and the hives went away.I'm 42 years old now and I still eat it no more hives though everyday all day it's the best I feel sorry for the poor bastards that don't enjoy natures desert!
cleenice

Postby murigo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Same with me. i literally eat ice to get a calm the same way people smoke cigarretes. Even in my local cafe, gilrs there know me especially in summer, because I always ask fora cup of ice. Now being winter there alot of frozen ice everywhere. It is not unusual to see me climb a bank so I can break a clean chunk and crack it. Icycles are so enticing and I even find myself thinking about them even at night in bed. I wish I could chew and not swallow but that is so hard. I eat ice like it is food and it feels so nice

g1ee12084 wrote:I mean, that's what I'm known for. Anyone who knows me well enough knows me because of it. I even have waitresses recognize me. They instantly bring me an extra cup of ice when I walk in...I could just keep going at the ice if no one stopped me, or if I never ran out. I love Sonic's ice!!! My friends give me nicknames like icee, freeza...or just 'the ice girl.'
After much google-research, I found out it was an actual disorder! A sympton of iron-deficient anemia.
I've been diagnosed with severe anemia when I was in my teens and it was due to extremely heavy menstrual amounts. My hemoglobin count was 6. But that all got fixed when I went on a strict raw-food diet which restored my whole system. Well, not entirely because I still can't donate blood but I definitely don't have really bad head rushes anymore. It was remarkable how the amounts of my menstration decreased. But why do I still crave ice oh so obsessively? It's totally messing up my digestive system...I just can't seem to stop! Ice just looks so damn delicious!!!! :drool:
Now, I've become a bit of an expert on ice. Like how it reacts differently to water, soda, alcohol...and what not..
I like to fill my glass with ice and just dash it with a bit of soda...That way, it melts a just right which is easier to chew..also you get the flavor of the soda!...I'm crazy....I know....
murigo

Return to Stories