Hello

Share your ice chewing stories.

Hello

Postby Skitterboo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:47 am

Hello! I am SO happy to have found this forum and know that I'm not the only person with ice issues.

I'm a 36 year old stay at home mom(5 children ranging in age from 5 to 13), and I've been chewing ice for the past year.

I prefer bagged ice (hard ice?) and I'm VERY picky about clairty and texture. If I ration myself I can make a 22lb bag last right at about 7 days, but I have to REALLY pace myself.

I'm intersted in the relationship between anemia and ice chewing. I am looking forward to being able to go to the doctor and find out what my iorn level is.

I've been in therapy for the past few years for myeslf and my children, and my therapist said that my ice munching is actualy an addiction.

I "sneek" ice when non family members are around, and am embarassed if i get "caught" with my mouth full of ice.

I get headaches if I don't have the ice, and if I do not have ice right before i go to bed at night, I will wake up in the middle of the night for the sole purpose of going to the freezer and getting a couple of pieces of ice.

The more stressed I am the more ice I eat, and eating ice is very pleasurable/soothing for me.

People always say "how bad can it be to be chewing ice?". Well, I've got abraisions on my tongue and the inside of my mouth from the ice, and my teeth are getting sensitive to where my mouth hurts if I don't chew.
I'm pretty sure I've damaged some tastebuds too, becaue most food does not have a flavor any more, and I just find it annoying that I have to eat .

I can't really tell how much damage is from the ice at this point because I also have a sensativity to vitamin C. If I eat any type of food with tomatos or citrus fruit (even mountain dew) I get sores and blisters in my mouth and the skin sloths off like when you've burned it on something hot.
There are so many food products that have vitaman C added to it, that i have to REALLY watch the lables.

I've also replaced eating with chewing ice, and have gained a lot of weight becaue of it.

I have to wonder if any of this is an oral fixation, as I also enjoy flossing my teeth.

I've tried substituting crunchy foods, and ice cream or popcicles for the ice, but none of that helps at all I just want the ice. :shock:
Skitterboo

Return to Stories