Anemic 3 year old craves ice

Share your ice chewing stories.

Anemic 3 year old craves ice

Postby Nita723 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:51 pm

I was just wondering if anyone here has a toddler that is anemic and craves ice? My 3 year old was born 8 weeks premature and was a micro-preemie weighing only 2 pounds. She was healthy and always has been, but she did have AOP (Anemia of Prematurity) and has always been anemic. Nothing we have given her seems to help and the doctors say she will eventually outgrow it. Recently she has started craving ice and gets very angry when she can't have any. Now I'm worried about her teeth and the effect the ice is having on her enamel. Does anyone else have any experience with this particular problem? Thank you for any help!

Nita
Nita723

I dont believe it

Postby Rambling » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:31 pm

I dont believe that has anything to do with iron deficency. It should be studied before considered a fact. I hope she doesnt get the habit..........it is impossible to break.
I could chew Alaska
Rambling

Postby Sarahdem » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 pm

I went through a stressful time during college when I developed a huge craving for ice. After I thought it might be bad for my teeth and I just got tired of the situation, I tried eating more iron and paying more attention to my diet.
The cravings slowly went away and now I don't obsess over where to find that perfect cup of ice to crunch.
Sarahdem

Return to Stories