Ice and TMJ

Share your ice chewing stories.

Ice and TMJ

Postby karenj » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:28 am

Hey, everyone!!! I am new to this board and boy am I glad I found it!! I was beginning to think that my Sister and I were the only crazy ice chewers out there! My problem besides damage to teeth is that I have TMJ and the constant ice chewing aggravates it. The right side of my face hurts but I can't stop chewing ice. Does anyone else have TMJ along with their ice chewing habit????????????
Ice is nice!!!
karenj

TMJ

Postby gaijingirl » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:55 am

Hi,
I have extreamly bad TMJ and have had it since I was 14. I dont know if it is ice that agrivates mine....its pretty much constant, though somedays worse than others. I think its more stress motivated and if I sleep bad and grind my teeth. I doubt that ice chewing helps at all though....I was told by my Dr. not to be eating any hard foods....so I guess that pretty much limits me to pudding and mashed potatoes. I cant handle real chewy things though or it gets real bad.

I guess if you are concerned about it, maybe try to cut back on the ice....I know its hard, Im pretty much addicted too, but having the weather be so cold helps somewhat.

The best thing is that I have an appliance/retainer type thing and when I chew ice with that, its awesome because there is no pain to the teeth with the coldness and I dont worry so much about damaging teeth.
gaijingirl

Return to Stories