Just diagnosed with severe anemia!

Share your ice chewing stories.

Just diagnosed with severe anemia!

Postby icequeen56 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:19 am

Hi! I'm new to this site. I too, crave ice, and easily consume a gallon of crushed ice a day. I've struggled with anemia for YEARS (heavy bleeding during periods) but this last year I've become obsessive over ice, and easily consume a gallon of crushed ice a day! Put me in front of a fabulous meal and a glass of ordinary water with ice and I will consume the ice every time! Finally went to the dr. and told him I thought I needed my blood checked, as I have heard ice chewing is often a symptom of anemia. Got the results back today, and sure enough, I am at TRANSFUSION LEVEL! He is very concerned and I immediately booked an appt with my ob/gyn to get a handle on this. If you are out there obsessing over ice and what restaurant produces the BEST ice (SONIC, HANDS DOWN!!!) PLEASE get yourself checked for anemia. Are you always exhausted? Fuzzy thinking? Short of breath? Probably anemia.
I will keep you all posted as to what the dr. says to do. I am going to start on Fergon (Iron supplement) until I see the other dr. Good luck to all my fellow ice addicts out there. Hope there's help for us!!
icequeen56

Re: Just diagnosed with severe anemia!

Postby nsmego » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:39 pm

What was your hemoglobin count?
nsmego

Postby Yusada » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:58 pm

I chew ice but chalk as well. Lack of iron makes us want to chew gritty stuff, my friend says. That's what my mom always tells me, too.
Yusada

Postby tandn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:11 pm

two weeks ago I was in and out of the ER w/ heavy menstral bleeding. My hemoglobin level dropped to 8. This was the 1st time I ever experienced such a "flow". Finally, I was put on progesteron, which calmed things down after a few doses but I was still at an 8. Almost had a transfusion. Now I'm at a 10. Normal low range is 12. Getting better every day. Had an ablasion last week which should make it so I never have a flow like that AGAIN! I started craving ice last week. Can't get enough. And get this - if I could bottle the smell of wet concrete, :drool: I'd be wearing it right now! This all started last week. The craving is actually lessoning, which is good. I worry about cracking my teeth! :roll: Thanks for your site. I feel better now that this appears to be normal
tandn

Postby mickel123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 am

Nice Post :lol: :lol:

solitairechamp
mickel123

Return to Stories