ice-aholics anonymous

Share your ice chewing stories.

ice-aholics anonymous

Postby jkleena » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:22 am

Funny, how a google/engine search and a need to understand led many of us ice chewing, anemia stricken personalities here. The whole idea is hilarious, enlightening and endearing to me.

Like many of you, I am a former obsessive ice chewer who kicked the habit for a few years but now has become obsessed again. I would like to stop for my teeth's sake. And honestly, I find it repulsive when I see (hear) other people crunching ice. Probably because I know where they're coming from (like how other junkies can recognize their kind.)

Right now though, I can't stop. My teeth are aching as I type this. My venture into ice chewing evolved from crunching on hard mint candies to Ice Blue Peppermint Halls (i liked the mentho-lyptus action and would sometimes smell a jar of Vicks vapor rub at the same time for double the power)

Then at my job in Braum's Ice Cream Store in Dallas, I discovered that ice served the same purpose (crunching, release and cooling effect) . They had these wonderful mini ice cubes which broke quickly and wer easy on the teeth. I also discovered the tiny ice pellets from "Sonic Burgers & Shakes" and later the almost shaved ice from Dairy Queen. The smaller the better. But even big old ice cubes I'll chomp away at, even if it means risking my teeth.

From late 1997 to mid 1999 my addiction was maddening.

I get an eerie, soothing satisfaction from crunching ice. I guess cuz it dissolves easy. When I'm breaking the ice into little pieces with my teeth, I feek Im releasing my aggression and tension. Also, ice has no calories, so I don't feel guilty eating large quantities.

A few years later, when I started a less stressful job with better pay, I found my ice chewing obsession reduced to a passing afterthought.

For almost 3 years, I managed to kick the habit. Then less than a month ago, I am obsessively crunching on ice again. So I felt it was time to investigate why, and my internet search led me to this site, astounded to know how many others shared my addiction!

Now , my take on the two schools of thought - sexual frustration and anemia.

Sexual frustration? Perhaps. There's somebody that I like ( a lot) and the feelings are mutual, but nothing can be done about it, because we both have ties right now. And it seems that as my frustration was growing, so has my ice chewing habits. (btw I shared this ice-crunching information with the person that I liked, and he mentioned that hypothetically, if he and I were to ever break or ties and get together, he would try ice too - only in a different way. but we won't go there. I had to get me another cup of ice. )

Iron deficiency? Well, I have always been anemic. Only when I need to donate blood do I try to rev up my iron. According to feedback from other people, eating more iron rich foods and taking supplements can help this teeth grinding habit. So we'll see what happens.

Somebody commented before if statistics were ever taken among the exisiting ice chewers who've made posts here.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what demographics, ethnicities, occupations, hobbies, common background experiences,, age ranges, etc comprise this ice chewing society?

I wonder if there's a way to chart that on this website. Anyway, I'm new here so I still have yet to explore the site.

Ok, that's my ice breaker for the day.
jkleena

Statistics

Postby Rambling » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:22 pm

I am also interested in the statistics. I am curious about the real cause. I beat the habit for almost 6 years, restarted like a year ago.
I could chew Alaska
Rambling

Postby blaize1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 pm

i TOO AM ADDICTED, BUT I TRIED TO QUIT FOR MY TEETH, ( I CHIPPED TWO TEETH ALREADY) BUT I JUST BLEND MY ICE, SO IM EATING ICE NOT CHEWING IT!
I love iceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
blaize1

Old Habits Never Really Go Away

Postby Scrooey~Snowball » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:20 pm

Hey fellow Ice Chompers, Well after several months of not chewing ice. I once again am chewing ice only this time its frozen soda pop and Lemon/Lime Gatorade frozen in ice trays. Yum! the best part is it's easier on the teeth at least the softer ice cubes bu-u-ut I'm not opposed to chewing regular ice and I know the sugar that makes it softer is not really good for my teeth but when that craving strikes I want I need and I get my ice and crunch away.Yum!Yum! why did I ever stop in the first place when ice tastes so-o-o good! So Chomp on :lol: :lol: :D Sign me, Screwy Snowball :) :lol: :) : :lol: :
Scrooey~Snowball

Location: Another Scrooey Creative World Called Old Frosty Kenmora

Return to Stories