Transfusion

Share your ice chewing stories.

Transfusion

Postby LindaP » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:57 pm

My DH and I (and kids) moved from a town we'd lived for 14 years. A few months before we moved I began chewing ice. It's become so bad that I crave it. I eat it in the shower, take it with me in huge mugs in the van....I just LOVE ice.

Well, a couple of days ago I went to my pre-op appointment at the hospital and later that day I received a call from my doctor. He said my iron was so dangerously low that I need to have a blood transfusion before surgery. They also want me to have a stress test because my EKG showed something funny. I'm scared to have a transfusion....I just don't trust that EVERYTHING is tested and that 10 years down the road I won't be suffering from something they didn't think they had to test for.

Anyway, I looked up 'chewing ice and low iron' on Google and came across this site. My doctor didn't even ask about my Pica habits. Oh, and another craving I have is eating dried oatmeal. I can eat it by the cup full many times a day. (Started right after we moved.) A sure sign that something is wrong....but we didn't realize iron was the reason.

I'm suppose to go in for a hysterectomy on Tuesday......but the transfusion has to happen first on Monday. The doctor knows of my concerns and said he could give me a high does of estrogen to stop my next cycle, spend a month or so getting my iron levels up, and then do surgery. I don't know what to do. I want to get this surgery over with.....but I have my other fears to contend with.

Thanks for listening,

Linda
LindaP

pica

Postby noteeth » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:59 pm

This is unreal, I thought i was the only ice eating nut around! I have been craving ice for some time now and have lost 3 beautiful teeth because of it. My dentist told me yesterday to stop because of this problem. I have also craved dirt. I tryed to eat it once and it was horrible, but i will still crave it from time to time. I am also dangerously anemic, by DO wants me to see a hematologist due to my low numbers. I figure if it was something life threatening I'd be dead by now so I don't worry. Iam so glad there are so many of us. :D
noteeth

you NEED to get it checked out.

Postby texas_DJ_ice » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:30 pm

I know you think anemia is nothing but it can be VERY serious if left untreated. I understand the addiction to ice. I too am an addict but one of the KEY symptoms of serious anemia is the desire to eat inedible things (ie. dirt) PLEASE go get it checked out...We don't want anything to happen to you.
texas_DJ_ice

Return to Stories